Baguazhang

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Awens to All:

I came upon this Martial Art when I saw some Oriental People who were Walking In Circles around a Tree in a nearby Park.

It was explained to me that Walking about a Tree is one of the Methods for Practicing the Taoist Buddhistic Art of Baguazhang which is a Method of Walking in Circles in a Meditative Fashion in order to improve Health as well as Muscle Balance in order to create Greater Balance in Martial Arts.

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Here is the Wikipedia Listing about Baguazhang:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baguazhang

“The practice of circle walking, or “turning the circle”, as it is sometimes called, is Baguazhang’s characteristic method of stance and movement training. All forms of Baguazhang utilize circle walking as an integral part of training.”

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Here is a Website about Walking the Bagua Circle:
    https://feng-shui.lovetoknow.com/Bagua_Circle

This Website states the Benefits of Circle Walking but does not mention it being necessary to do your Circle Walking around a Tree but it does seem to a Popular Method for Baguazhang Circle Walkers to do their Craft around a Tree.

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

A Master of Baguazhang made an Informative YouTube about it:

3X3

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Here is the Bagua Tree in the Local Park:

Bagua Tree

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

And here is the Circular Pattern left in the Ground by the Bagua Circle Walkers:

Bagua Circle

3X3

david poole
    Participant

For some reason I have just thought of something else, sacred labyrinth walking. In labyrinth walking the participants circle around a central point heading inwards towards a focus or destination, where some kind of activity takes place. I believe that this is a greek tradition, although there are labyrinths in Britain. In some cases this might be taken as being a kind of journey into the subconscious or the underworld to meet with unknown forces. This case is slightly different. Here people are walking around a tree, which has become the focus. I sense that this is a way of making contact with and honouring the spirit of the trees, like creating a relationship with them.

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Evidently, you do not always Walk Around Trees in Baguazhang. But some of them seem to have taken to it.

3X3

Dowrgi
    Participant

For some reason I have just thought of something else, sacred labyrinth walking. In labyrinth walking the participants circle around a central point heading inwards towards a focus or destination, where some kind of activity takes place. I believe that this is a greek tradition, although there are labyrinths in Britain. In some cases this might be taken as being a kind of journey into the subconscious or the underworld to meet with unknown forces. This case is slightly different. Here people are walking around a tree, which has become the focus. I sense that this is a way of making contact with and honouring the spirit of the trees, like creating a relationship with them.

That sounds a bit like dancing around the Maypole, weaving the ribbons around the pole/tree, doesn’t it?

Bennathow
    /|\

david poole
    Participant

I was thinking of the Wiccan practice of raising a cone of power, something which I have worked with and experienced the power of. It is a very simple method yet very powerful and effective. The aim is to hold on to your intention and to raise energy through movement and chanting until it reaches a peak at the centre, where you release it. This causes tremendous vibrations on the magical level which effect a result.

Anonymous

dear 3×3, you can get the same effect paying attention to your breath. the point is one point focus, it calms the mind. achieving a point of stillness, in the moment, not the future or the past. walking meditation is very popular with some buddhist. you can also do this with looking at a candle flame. also the cone of power that David is talking about is very powerful, and will and intention is used to send natural energy, no god energy. This is real witchcraft. And you may be able to see the actual energy raised, but for sure it is there. it focuses in a cone at the top and then is sent off to do its work. this is not buddhist walking meditation.

simonthomas
    Participant

Baguazhang martial art is an extension of shamanic Taoism and Qigong. In the older shamanic qigong schools, there are multiple stepping patterns all for different purposes. The most popular is the connection of heaven and earth which consists of 3 connected spiral patterns (Like the carving at Newgrange) which represent the earth and possibly the 3 cauldrons and then the heaven pattern is stepped out which is the shape of the big dipper constellation stepped firstly outside the 3 spirals and then at the centre of the 3 spirals.
    Qigong practitioners and martial artists are also shown how to pull power from the environment for healing and power, The techniques I use are all static postures as in no stepping patterns.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept