Awen & Me

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    True Owl
    Participant

Bard Booklet 5, Page 38 asks the following : “Please share the gifts that awen brings you with your fellow bards, via the bardic students’ Forum on the website”.

The Awen to me offers various gifts that we are all given and can use to enhance not only our own lives, but other people’s lives as well, whether it be through artistry, painting, poetry, music, lyrics, songs, or any other creative craft-work. The Awen flows everywhere, and all can receive it to gain new ideas & to create new things.

Sometimes, the awen offers that “a-ha !” moment, when just like the switching on of a light bulb, a great idea or thought suddenly springs to mind. It seems not so much to be the natural outcome of our own thought or effort, but rather something gifted to us by something greater than ourselves. The awen is always something welcomed by those to whom it comes, and it always comes bringing a blessing in one form or another.

As I look back over my life, I see a progression and trail of development in my spiritual life. I started at a very young age where I also attended church regularly, which taught me not only the life of Jesus, but that of a spiritual life. As I grew into my teens, I started to think for myself and started to ask questions. These questions at the church were never answered to my satisfaction (for example, on reincarnation & the Otherworld), and so I moved from Christianity to explore other world religions and faiths. Studying these taught me a lot, but still I did not feel that these were the right path for me.

I then came across Celtic mythology and legends, which opened a new world to me – I was hooked! I started reading the Irish myths and Welsh tales, and found I had a thirst for knowledge on anything to do with Celtic history, Celtic legends, Gods and Goddesses, the ancestors, the Tuatha De Danann and the Druids. I had found my path at last. I then started to read and explore druidry, and one of the first things I did was to go out into the local woods, and look at nature, listen to nature, embrace nature and connect with nature.

I looked at the trees, birds, hills, streams and the sky through new seeing eyes, and I learnt so much from these experiences, now looking at life in a different way to how I had done previously. With time and practice I connected, praying and performing little rituals to the Gods/Goddesses, the spirits of place & the ancestors, thanking them for all that they have done for me – I feel that the awen had a huge hand in all this. I was invigorated and was refreshed with life and what the druid path had to offer me. I learnt of the changing of the seasons and thanked mother earth for all that nature offers & provides us. My experiences also helped me with enhancing my creativity, I found my awen flowed more – I love to play guitar, writing music, creating songs & lyrics. Using the inspiration from awen, I found that I was becoming more creative, as I journeyed further on my druid path. Awen also enhanced my understanding, and gave me a caring and thoughtful quality towards nature and Mother earth.

I felt that I wanted to give something back, and so I regularly go to a local wood, where I commune, meditate and amongst others, hold conversation with the trees and any birds or animals that are there at the time. I have a particular tree, which I feel I have an anam cara (soul friend) relationship with, and that works both ways – we look after each other, communing & have a spiritual link between us. This I feel is enhanced by the flow of awen.

I found wonderful insight and love for all things in nature – this is the most important thing to me, and I use my gifts of awen in service to nature, birds, trees, people, and helping in the local community. I also joined the Hawk & Owl Trust, which helps in the preservation of these beautiful birds; as it would be a great shame for these birds to be extinct.

This is what the awen has done for me, which not only helped with gifts of writing song lyrics, and making music, but of a positive attitude for the future – the gaining of a heart to look after Mother earth and treat her with respect, to preserve and look after what we have, and to teach others about these aspects. I have also been a mentor for another Druid Order for many years, offering a service to others in helping them on their own path.

In conclusion, I feel that knowledge can enrich the soul, and through this, each of us are given creative gifts (awen), which we can use to enhance not only our own lives, but those of others. This is how I intend to continue using the creative flow of awen on my Druidic path.

Thanks for reading.

Blessings,
    Jules (True Owl).

Mark Scales
    Participant

I really enjoyed reading your share Jules thank you.

True Owl
    Participant

Hi Mark,

That’s great – glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for taking the time to read it all.

Blessings,

Jules.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi True Owl,

I would’ve replied sooner, but there have been some issues posting on the forum – tech problems, as usual. Anyway, I’m glad you shared this with us and I think that your notions of awen are very similar to mine in many ways.

Bennathow
    /|\

True Owl
    Participant

Hi Dowrgi,

Thanks for reading my post – that’s much appreciated.

Good to hear that our notions of awen are similar – that gives me confidence that I’m on the right track.

Blessings,

Jules.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Metaphorically, for me, the Nine Maidens attend the cauldron of inspiration at the centre of all things and from which the awen comes forth like mist or the vapour bubbling up from the primordial elements of creation. The awen is in all things and all around us and in ourselves, like breath or the air, we connect with it all the time unawares. I think the tuning into the awen, to use a more modern turn of phrase, is becoming aware and connected again – lifting the veils, so to speak. There is no separation, we create that ourselves. This world and the otherworld co-exist like circles that move around a centre point – the cauldron. Sometimes, these circles overlap completely, sometimes they barely touch, but they are always in contact. The cauldron is in the centre, the awen is what permeates both worlds and when we connect with it, we become part of both.

Bennathow
    /|\

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept