Are Druids cursed?

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Are Druids cursed?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Dave the Druid
    Participant

Dowrgi,
    I really don’t curse anyone, except other drivers. The Wiccans do have some good ideas, like the three fold law. I am fairly conscious of their intent.
    The parable of the fig tree strikes me as being a bit self serving and one sided. There isn’t any depth to the story except that cursing a fig tree gets you no figs when you are hungry.
    See my post above for the progression of the curse for harming a Druid. I don’t know if it is real or imagined but I know what I perceived about causality and relationship.

Peace and Harmony
    Dave the Druid

Dowrgi
    Participant

Morning Dave,

I may be wrong, but I think the parable of the fig tree is one of those that is full of biblical symbology, the tree is covered in leaves, it’s all there for show, so to speak, yet it bears no fruit and is found wanting. This is connected to a lot of Old Testament symbology about God’s people being like a fruit tree, and the Bible is full of metaphors and symbols connected to trees bearing fruit. The tree appears to be great in full leaf, but in actual fact it’s all superficial and there is no fruit.

As for my previous comment, fundamentally, I think that all spiritual paths teach the same thing, or, put better, they’re all aiming at the same thing, and each person needs to find their own way there. If we believe in a god, multiple deities, a divine consciousness or whatever else, then surely a person’s path is all part of the “big plan”, and it’s not up to us as mere mortals to force our will upon anyone else, nor to disparage their path. If we do this, then we are actually disparaging our own god, deities, divine consciousness or whatever else. I supposed a hardened atheist would say that we’re all arguing about characters from fiction, yet if we do believe in that “something else”, then we should perhaps behave more humbly and accordingly. The words of the Rig Veda come to mind: Ekam sat vipra bahudha vadanti (Rig Veda 1.164:46) “the Truth is one, the wise call it by different names”.

Perhaps the most ancient principle of druid lore, recorded by Diogenes, of honouring the divine, being courageous, and doing no evil, is in its essence in no conflict with any religion, belief system or spiritual path.

Bennathow
    /|\

david poole
    Participant

Cursing is not something which I really do and I am not sure whether it really helps in the long term, except to make us feel better and then only for a short while

Dave the Druid
    Participant

Dowrgi,
    I am fairly certain that at no point did I mention religion, a spiritual path or belief system other ideological canon. I was asking about a cause an effect relationship that may or may not exist.
    Bible parables are cute but the Judeo-Christian meanings while occasionally universal have a definite flavour that bothers me as a Druid.

Peace and Harmony
    Dave the Druid

Dowrgi
    Participant

Evening Dave,

I was just adding to the slight development in this thread in which you wrote that some had accused you of being a “friend of Satan”, and upon which Angela commented, too, that was all.

As for the biblical wisdom, well, I think one has to discern what is myth, what is historical, what is purely symbolic and so on, all the while bearing in mind the historical context, issues with translation and possible interpolations in what is actually a corpus of very different books with very different traditions accompanying them.

As for the cause and effect relationship, unless you have deliberately cursed someone in that you have called upon some supernatural power to bring ill luck to someone, if you believe that’s even possible, which you say you haven’t anyway, then I really don’t think there is any cause and effect relationship in what you describe.

Nevertheless, we know that our Celtic ancestors did this, many curse tablets have been found in places such as Bath, however, we don’t know what the results were. I also imagine that our desperate ancestors brought down curses on the invading Roman legions and implored their deities to intervene and save them, obviously it didn’t work, and/or the deities weren’t listening.

Bennathow
    /|\

Dave the Druid
    Participant

Evening Dowrgi,

That, Satan thing, was not the worst thing I was called that day. It was just an illustration of sorts. I guess it took on a life of it’s own.

I treat , biblical wisdom, with same care I treat all religious texts. First I put on welding gloves and mask. Then I pick up a 3 meter long cattle prod and open the tome.

You forget the premise, which is someone acts on me in a negative way and suffers repercussions. I want to make this absolutely clear. I do not curse anyone. If anything it is a reflective event. ( I have had occasion to do unto others, then split. That is for more examination at later time.)

I’m firmiliar with some of those curse tablets. Instructive but not terribly useful. Bloody Romans, every time that is brought up I recall reading the roman account.

Peace and Harmony
    Dave the Druid

Angela Lawton
    Participant

Yeah sorry Dave I brought the religious context in which is a bit off on a Druid forum, I’ll refrain from doing it again. One of my daughters has just said, coincidentally, she hates it when people preach, its fine for someone to have a belief but they shouldn’t force it on anyone else. Dowrgi seems to have a lot of insight and wisdom and paints the Druid path in a good light.

Dave the Druid
    Participant

Hi Angela
    Having been bathed in a non practicing Christian/Jewish home and in a society that is confused about it’s religious under pinnings. I’d call it protestant with heavy doses of capitalism. I have spent time in the bible belt where everyone is suspect if you don’t go to the same church. (For fun, look up how many different types of baptist there are.)
    I will say that my own perspective is that Christian teachings are no less valid but I do feel that a Celtic idea is worthy of paying attention to. NB do unto others as you would have done to you. This is a principal to that is nearly universal but a Christian could point to it a a teaching of Jesus.
    Perhaps I am a little bit touchy about so called Christian doctrine. I hope I didn’t offend you.
    One of the great joys for me about being ordained is that I feel free to explore a wide variety of the worlds religions, to see as it were, how others live. This has given me a broader perspective and a sense of humor about religiosity. Try reading Joseph Campbell some time. It will really bake your noodle.

Peace and Harmony
    Dave the Druid

Dowrgi
    Participant

Evening all,

The way I see it is that essentially a druid means “one who is wise as an oak”, and in order to gain wisdom, one has to be a listener, and listen to all, even if all might not hold opinions or outlooks with which one agrees. In a world full of people shouting at each other, what a terrible din, it’s often hard for anyone to be able actually to listen. I retreat to the silent places and listen to the wind on the leaves, they sound different according to the season. You can learn a lot just by listening to the wind, the waves, the babbling brook. So, to all the shouty people out there, :-D, take time out, learn the value of quietness, and listen to the breeze, learn to listen …

Bennathow
    /|\

Dave the Druid
    Participant

Good evening Dowrgi,

I myself spend at least an hour a day in the company of trees, listening to their council. I also take notice of the small creatures scurrying on the forest floor and the birds as they fly. These acts help settle my mind and reinvigorate my spirit.
    If I seem “shouty” I apologize. My goal was to keep the discussion on track and learn from my Druid brothers and sisters.

Peace and Harmony
    Dave the Druid

Dowrgi
    Participant

Morning Dave,

No, I wasn’t referring to you at all, just the more generally depressing state of the world these days. I’m sorry if that wasn’t clear. I agree with you wholeheartedly about the trees.

Bennathow
    /|\

Angela Lawton
    Participant

Hi Dave no worries you didn’t offend me at all, everyone is entitled to an opinion and I am surrounded by Atheists in every day life so its not new to me. I need to connect more with nature, I only go out once a day to walk the dog. I am meditating more which is helpful.

david poole
    Participant

I notice that we have what appears to be three different sides emerging here, one the religious side the other the atheists; does this place spiritual people in the middle, and do spiritual people offer a moderate solution to the tension between religious dogma and the complete denial of religion? Dowrgi I think that you are a very good moderator or moderate or balancing voice within discussion

Dowrgi
    Participant

Perhaps I’m getting old, but something I’ve noticed is that increasingly more people these days seem to be very aggressive with their entrenched opinions, and there seems to be a lot of polarisation in all areas of life; there seems to be less nuance, and one is forced to pick one side or the other all the time. What if you disagree with both, for example? Is this because of the internet and how we are bombarded 24/7 with news, opinions and controversies? Is this because today people can instantly voice their opinions and react and this goes around the world in a fraction of a second before they really have had time to think about things? I don’t want to sound like a Luddite, but at the same time, the voice of the softer, gentler, middle way often seems to get drowned out by all the “shouting”.

Kres ha bennathow
    /|\

Dave the Druid
    Participant

Alright you lot!

Since post 14262, we seem to have lost the plot. I am good with this. As I am the one who the original premise revolved around and is responsible for the next action.

I wish to thank everyone who has participated. I am grateful for all of your wise counsel. I also wish to express my gratitude for proving that if you get a group of Druids together, number of their ideas will be greater than the number of Druids present.

I was walking my dogs and counting the stars whilst thinking about this thread. Here is what I suggest, in an effort to reduce the noise. Let us go through the posts on this discussion and see if we have anything that would serve as a foundation for further discussion in a different thread.

Peace and Harmony
    Dave the Druid

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept