Are Druids cursed?

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Are Druids cursed?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Dave the Druid
    Participant

I have noticed things that are a seemingly a cause and effect relationship. An action is taken against me or hurts me in some way. The result is that the person who took action against me is in some way hurt(not physically). The examples that come to mind; in one instance, a jail term, in another on several occasions a manager got over run over by customers after cutting my hours and lastly a piece of jewelry that was intended for me was purchased by a couple of resellers, they had a significant health issue.
    I have never Cursed anyone. The Druid reputation for powerful curses is documented and looking to raise boils is not my thing.
    There is however, a west country saying that could use some research. “Never trouble a Druid”, the only time I heard this whilst watching Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear use this admonition before something bad happened.
    The phrase, sounded like a warning and one that is in common usage. I am wondering if the phrase is one that has been handed down from time immemorial, so that it is now a general warning. But is there more to it and if you, trouble a Druid will bad things befall?
    I am a long practicing druid and have noticed some things that make me think there may be a kernel of truth to this phrase.
    Think carefully about your life as a Druid. Has this been happening to you?

Peace and Harmony
    Dave the Druid

Dowrgi
    Participant

I’m from the West and I’m afraid to say I’ve never heard anyone say that. I may be wrong, but I don’t think it’s some ancient piece of wisdom that’s been handed down over the generations. On the other hand, I have heard people express feelings of awe and temerity with regard to anyone perceived as having some kind of second sight or mystic aura about them – sort of along the lines of “Don’t cross him or her …” I’ve also heard people say things such as “they had it coming to them” or, of a particularly unpleasant person, “the sun won’t shine on him/her”; the latter, I believe was a kind of curse that was once indeed taken quite seriously in Cornwall.

One taboo, so to speak, that I have indeed heard of an experienced is that of avoiding any mention of the little people by their direct names – better always to refer to them as the fair folk, the good people, the little people or the grey folk and so on, and never, never, speak ill of them. I was once admonished by an elderly relative, perhaps half in jest – but not completely – for mentioning the fair folk with the wrong name. On the other hand, I’m always of the opinion that they do look after their own and those who are friendly and respectful to them.

Bennathow
    /|\

Dowrgi
    Participant

As for the cause and effect thing, equally, though, have you ever noticed that people who do you a good turn are somehow blessed with good fortune thereafter?

david poole
    Participant

This is the first time that I have heard of this effect. I have never noticed anything really bad happening to me or to anyone else who I have been involved with

Dave the Druid
    Participant

Dowgri, I have noticed that some of the people I have helped have indeed have some good fortune. My good fortune is about so so.
    I am aware of the taboos regarding the fair folk.
    The question regards Druids and a phrase I once heard as an admonishment
    David Poole- good for not seeing anything. I just made some connections with things that happened.

Peace and Harmony
    Dave the Druid

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

All sorts of People can end up Cursed beside Neo-Paganistic Druids.

There are Egyptian Curses, Hindu Curses, Christian Curses, Islamic Curses, Jewish Curses, etc, etc, etc.

3X3

Dave the Druid
    Participant

Dave, I am aware of the history of curses. I am trying to learn if there is any foundation for the idea that harming a Druid will bring retribution and not necessarily from the Druid.

Dowrgi
    Participant

I am trying to learn if there is any foundation for the idea that harming a Druid will bring retribution and not necessarily from the Druid.

Well, to be honest, I don’t think there is.

Nevertheless, why would the druids be cursed, as per the title of this thread, if it were the case that harming them would bring some kind of retribution on the “harmer”? If someone is supposedly cursed, then surely the ill fortune is happening to them if, of course, you lend credence to such notions in the first place.

Bennathow
    /|\

Dave the Druid
    Participant

Nice one Benathow.
    Perhaps I misspoke. The cause of the retribution would be on the one that harmed the Druid. The causal relationship is or seems to be, A acts negatively on the Druid and without any action on the part of the Druid. A is harmed in some way as retribution. I think that is it.
    For myself, perhaps you are right and the instances in my life could be coincidentally occurring. I shall consider this.

I would still like to know where the phrase, never trouble a Druid, came from.

Peace and Harmony
    Dave the Druid

Dowrgi
    Participant

Morning Dave,

Well, perhaps one might look at it this way, if people are behaving in a negative way, maybe they bring, or attract, some kind of negative energy on or to themselves. Having said that, I’ve always had a bit of a problem accepting the notion of laws of attraction because, sadly, horrendous things happen to very good people. How do we explain that, then?

Re the saying “never trouble a druid”, I’ve never heard it nor read it, and I’ve done a bit of research online since you posted this, too, however, nothing has come up. I very much doubt it’s some piece of wisdom that’s come down through the ages either. It’s unlikely that ordinary folk knew much about, or had even heard of the druids, until the revivals of the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, so it’s unlikely, in my opinion, that this saying represents some kind of folk wisdom.

Bennathow (Blessings)
    /|\

Dave the Druid
    Participant

Dowrgi,
    Good morning.
    You may be correct and I have been tilting at windmills. My best bet on this may be to consult the source. As for how it may or may not effect me, I do feel it is a decent insurance about things that happen to me.

Peace and Harmony,
    Dave the Druid

Angela Lawton
    Participant

‘Bless those who curse you’ is a Christian saying.

Dave the Druid
    Participant

Angela,
    I am firmiliar with the christian saying. I am also definitely not a Christian. (Some of those people have called me a friend of Satan)
    As discussed previously, the expression, never trouble a Druid is the idea I am trying to learn about. I heard it on Top Gear uttered by Jeremy Clarkson. My search for some deeper understanding of the term has so far come up empty.
    My wise brothers have not been able to shed any light on the subject. I need to contact Mr. Clarkson to determine if he has any knowledge or even remembers the line.

Peace and Harmony
    Dave the Druid

Angela Lawton
    Participant

David, good luck with contacting Mr Clarkson, I hope he can shed some light on your question. I’m sorry to hear that some Christians have called you a friend of Satan, to be honest my own experience of Christians hasn’t been great either as a late entrant into Christianity. I have been accused of attempting to get power over other Christians in the congregation which is quite laughable, I was guilty of practising reiki healing and complementary therapies. But I have decided to forgive and move on, although I am not a very good Christian myself so I try not to preach to others. Sorry if I digress from your topic. Curses seem quite universal in magic and religion, and the Apostles, namely Peter and Paul in The New Testament directed curses against people and of course Jesus cursed the fig tree.

Dowrgi
    Participant

I’m always saddened when people feel the need to attack others’ sincere spiritual paths and I tend to go with the philosophy of each person must find their own way to heaven, thus it is not up to any of us to doubt heaven’s plans; by disparaging someone else’s path, you’re actually disparaging your own, too. I suppose that’s the difference, too, between the outlook of the people who are truly holy or genuinely spiritual and those who are just vociferously, dare I say showily, religious. Interestingly enough, the episode of the fig tree is a symbolic parable that deals with similar themes if I’m not mistaken.

Bennathow
    /|\

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept