Amesbury

Home Forums BDO Public Forum Amesbury

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    david poole
    Participant

The Amesbury History Centre has been closed for refurbishment. There is no sign of the building which once stood there. It will be six months before it returns, I have been told. What stands there at present is a very large, empty space which can be seen through the fencing. There are flyers on the fencing telling you about the missing Centre. In the meantime, parts of the display from the Centre can be seen at the Amesbury Visitors Centre and the Amesbury Library. This is a bit of a shame as the History Centre offered a lot of insights into Amesbury’s history. There were figures reconstructing parts of the past. The world wars were also covered by this centre. Fortunately they will be back one day, although not soon.

Crucially, the History Centre had a lot to say about Stonehenge. I uncovered facts about Stonehenge’s past there which I had not known about before. The Mesolithic was one period covered in some detail, this is important as the Neolithic people built places like Stonehenge, and the Mesolithic people came before them. If you go to Stonehenge you may notice the remains of Mesolithic postholes along the visitors’ walkway. The Centre used to stock local magazines. Part of the display consisted of newspaper clippings. This was useful as it used to show people looking into Stonehenge’s past.

What you can presently see from the History Centre is mostly within the Visitors’ Centre. There are a lot of artefacts in display cabinets. The display cabinets are interesting. There are a lot of pottery fragments. The Visitors’ Centre covers some interesting areas. There are many books covering local history, including Durrington Wells. There is a second-hand books section. Sometimes interesting books on history and the past can be found there. I was told that most of the History Centre’s displays were held at the back within the Visitors’ Centre. I was almost tempted to buy a Stonehenge puzzle which was in the window.

The local fish and chip shop had a sign about figures which were sold at an auction. These figures are quite large, and can be seen around the town. The one I saw depicted a bee farmer and lots of bees and flowers. There is another figure who is a Druid, he is associated with the Winter Solstice. I wonder where he is standing.

There is supposed to be a display at the local library. I could not see anything there. They do have a lot of books on local history.

Stonehenge is just down the road. This can be a long walk down the side of the motorway. I did not go down there today. The Visitors’ Centre for Stonehenge is much further away. This is very good for souvenirs. They have books and clothing and puzzles. Their shop is very good for mementos and souvenirs. There is a reconstruction of a small part of a Celtic Iron Age village. There are not many buildings there. They are all roundhouses. Outside the Visitors’ Centre there is a giant stone. Visitors can try their strength by trying to pull it. One thing I can say about the Centre. You can see some very nice views of the sky, sunsets look magnificent. There are some nice woods along this road. They are worth a visit in themselves.

Dowrgi
    Participant

You are a veritable fountain of information, David! 🙂

Fascinating stuff.

Wiltshire is not really my neck of the woods, although I have been to Stonehenge a few times (first time as a child with my parents and their friends in the 70s – I have blurry memories of tie-dyed shirts, long hair, moustaches and sunglasses). I’ve also been to Avebury and was lucky enough to visit Carnac (Karnag) in Brittany a few years ago.

I thought you might find this publisher interesting too — https://www.meynmamvro.co.uk/
    Meyn an Mamvro (Cornish: Stones of the Motherland)

Bennathow.
    /|\

david poole
    Participant

thanks dowrgi. i will check that out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.