Alban Elfed, the festival of the elves

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Alban Elfed, the festival of the elves

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Dowrgi
    Participant

I do need to plant a hawthorn tree. Dowgri there are lots of different kinds of hawthorns in the states. should I plant the hawthorn/whitethorn (Crataegus) tree. or do think another kind would be ok.

Good question. Note that Crateagus is the genus, with lots of different regional series. I think it’s always best to avoid introducing anything that could be invasive, so why not go for a North American cockspur hawthorn (Crataegus crus-galli)? They’re native to eastern North America. Another option could be the plumleaf hawthorn (Crataegus persimilis). Other trees you might consider could the American hazel (Corylus americana) or just a plain old apple tree.

Bennathow
    /|\

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Dowrgi.
    Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Awens to All:

We are now into September so it is time to start considering what to do in order to Celebrate the Autumnal Equinox.

I might decide to go Camping.

3X3

Startree
    Participant

are we still living in Celtic dream time, and can we understand the spirit of the land and our relationship to it? these are the questions of the festival we will soon be celebrating. for I feel we are in the eternal druid dream time of the otherworld and we are seeking otherworld blessings. there is no reason to think as druids that we are not as powerful as the druids of old, or that the Celtic dream time is not still here with us right now, for it is an eternal time out of mundane time. we must recreate the sacred grove and the world tree, is only symbolically in our own homes. this is the time to reconnect with the Celtic Otherworld. This is the time of the elves. although our harvest may not be of corn, but of other blessings of the Celtic god and goddess, of lugh, and the great grain goddess. this festival needs ceremony of the grove, the trees, the sacred space where we communicate with the Celtic Otherworld. perhaps a small potted tree in the living room can symbolize the world tree, or a candle the fire of the sacred druid woods, or whatever we need to mark off sacred space. this is the harvest home, a real harvest of the gifts we receive from the Celtic Otherworld. and most of all what makes us druids is our relationship with the Celtic Otherworld, a timeless world that informs us of the way we as druids ethically live in this world and our relationship with nature, it involves going past the tree museum and accepting the larger part of nature that sustains us. remember, we are the ones who must seek nature and her spirit and lead others to it, others who have lost their way to the relationship with nature and how we are all interconnected. there is much work for us as druids, and remember we have the power of the Celtic Otherworld with us. further, William

david poole
    Participant

Equinox marks the time of equal day and equal night, when the light and the darkness stand opposed to each other yet still in balance. The balance then turns towards the darkness of winter, which will be upon us sooner than we think. This is the time to prepare ourselves for that time of darkness, for it is not an easy time.

Ray
    Participant

This might be on to something completely different, but is there a space on the BDO website that talks about Alban Elfed and what the autumn equinox means or is intended to celebrate according to modern BDO Druids? Especially if there is a story or legend that applies (maybe something from the first or third branches of Y Mabinogi or other sources). I’ve been asked to co-facilitate an invite only ritual this year on ZOOM.

Startree
    Participant

Hi Ray, I feel this is kind of exploratory. I am trying to explore what being a druid is really all about. I don’t think very many people at BDO agree with me on what a druid is, and that is fine because I am still working it out myself. I feel it has a lot to do with the Celtic Otherworld, but I think a lot of druids are into druidry for the history. It would be interesting to find out what stories go along with the Alban Elfed. One of the people who I just discovered who seems to know a lot about it is a guy named
    The Apple Branch: A Path to Celtic Ritual Paperback – July 1, 2003
    by Alexei Kondratiev (Author). This guy also wrote a book on druid ritual. From what I have read so far, I seem to agree with him. Kondratiev was a linguist and taught Celtic Languages, but he died in 2010. I see this site as a learning site where druids can learn from other druids and open up new ways of thinking about druidry. I am sure I end up pissing some people off in my posts, but I don’t mean to, I am just trying to go out on a limb and really get to the roots of what druidry is all about. I wish I could help you more, but I am just learning myself. If I learn anything from the books I have ordered, written by Kondratiev I will let you know. There have been some really great druid teachers, but they are hard to find. And from what I read over at OBOD, I don’t think they are on the right track on this Alban Elfed. I am going to try to have some kind of ritual and try to get in touch with the Celtic Gods and goddesses at Alban Elfed. It definitely is the date of the Celtic harvest home, and seems like a time of good food and feasting. I do play a Celtic song called harvest home on my fiddle. Best William

Ray
    Participant

I don’t think the OBOD is too off-base in looking at Alban Elfed as a holiday related to the balance of darkness and light. It is the Autumn Equinox. Where I live the sun will rise on equinox at 6:59 am and it will set at 7:08 pm, quite nearly a 12 hour day and a 12 hour night. But I’m not posting here to try and defend the OBOD. I respect freedom of religious expression. I expect you do too, most people with questions about human and spirit world relations do.
    I find myself thinking of Pryderi and Llew (third branch of the Mabinogi, and the White book of Rhydderch—-Wales) as gods of Alban Elfed. Pryderi was a temperamental warrior and son of the goddess Rhiannon, he and his friend Manawydden (Son of a sea god) had lush farmland in the kingdom of Dyfed, according to the story, until one year when the crops failed and all the people besides themselves and their wives disappeared. Pryderi wanted to take it out on someone, warrior that he was, but thankfully his friend Manawydden was of a more moderate temperament (depth of emotion, energy of water, the sea). They worked together to solve the problem, so no one had to die over it. This reminds me of Pryderi being an embodiment of at least some level of darkness (Cold, energy of winter, death). Eventually they earned the help of Llew (God of Sunlight, the clear sky, rebirth), the dark inclinations of Pryderi were overcome and the light represented by Llew, the new sun god (spring, new beginnings) overcame the darker inclinations of Pryderi.
    Manawydden was the bridge, or “the balance” between them. I expect to be thinking of these gods this Equinox. I don’t know what other BDO druids are inclined to do. In my last BDO Gorsedd we had a universal rite we used on every “sabbat” (for want of a better term), but it seemed to be lacking a seasonally specific section. I’m hoping to change that. No offense meant to Greywolf at all. Thank you to everyone posting.

—Ray
    (Priest, Caer Pugetia Gorsedd)

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Happy Autumnal Equinox!!!

While I did not go Camping, I did go for a Drive to one of my Old Favorite Camping Spots nearby Weaver Lake to have a Ceremonial Fire to Celebrate the Equinox yesterday.

Here is the Fire:

Autumnal Equinox Fire

3X3

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

And here is the Link to the YouTube of my 2020 Autumnal Equinox Celebratory Fire:

3X3

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept