Alban Elfed, the festival of the elves

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Alban Elfed, the festival of the elves

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Dowrgi
    Participant

I would like to know what the dubious groups are so I can avoid them

Let me just say that some groups have caused problems because they have managed to shoehorn in a lot of racist ideologies into their so-called belief systems under the guise of its being either Celtic or Germanic. I’ll leave at that. There is a group called Heathens Against Hate that tries to promote tolerance and non-racist values and if you look them up on their site, you can read all about the issues.

do you think we came from monkeys?

In terms of our organic, biological bodies or in terms of our “souls”? In terms of our biological, chemical make up, yes, in terms of our souls, as a person who believes in reincarnation and past lives, I’d have to say that souls are eternal and move house into many forms until they reach their destination, whereupon a new cycle starts again. It’s quite possible that your soul was once in a primate’s body, or a snail’s, or a tree’s and so on, at least in my cosmology.

don’t let the spriggans get you …

Ah, spyrysyon, quite nasty little folk at times and best avoided in Cornish folklore.

Bennathow
    /|\

Startree
    Participant

To encounter the world of fairies you must first realize that the whole world and everything in it is alive, animate, conscious, and infused with spirit. It is sacred and holy. This includes trees, rocks, stones, animals, even city streets, and hearth fires.

P51. Working with fairies, Anna Franklin

Startree
    Participant

In the ancient world, the goddesses who created the cosmos with their spinning were also deities of magick, Magick is often spoken of as knotting or weaving, and magicians as spirit weavers, web weavers, or net weavers. In fact, the word religion comes from the latin religare, meaning to tie. Magick was performed by moving and weaving the threads of the cosmic net, or by knotting them. P140 Working with fairies, anna franklin

In several tales a silver branch is given to mortals by queens of the fairy, it allows them to enter the otherworld, the bards carried the silver branch or have visions of the otherworld. Working with fairies anna franklin

Startree
    Participant

I see the image of the goddesses weaving the stars in the sky as beautiful, and it makes more sense poetically than a god creating the world in seven days, and I see the bards and druids learning their craft from the faeries as more magical than being trained in a druid college for twenty years. religion does not have to be dull, as long as it points to the truth, and there are many ways to look at something like love, or creation, and some are more interesting than others. The christians lost touch with communicating with the faery world, and that is why the christians have played such a big part in destroying the ecology of the planet, still, there is some beautiful stuff in the Bible, and there are lots of ways to look at things.

Startree
    Participant

the christian statement like there is one god, and he is a jealous god, and if you have anything to do with other gods or goddesses you are going to hell, as not a very helpful way to see religion. but, most of the people I know are so baked in christianity, that even if they sound hip, they still see the world from the point of view of christian Sunday school, and we are not renting this planet, it is our home, but it is also the faeries home and the two worlds are coexisting in the same space, and also I love mermaids.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Morning.

You need to be careful with ideas of the ancient world and some kind of universal mother goddess or creation goddesses. In terms of one’s own personal belief, well, that is entirely up to the person and it is his or her right to believe what he or she wants, however, in terms of historical fact and genuine ancient traditions, there’s not a lot of evidence to support this view and plenty to counter it. Most ancient traditions have some kind of primordial force of creation and the gods and goddesses come later and, of course, the Celtic peoples seem to have lacked a creation myth entirely!

One thing that ancient peoples did seem to focus on in many traditions was the power and magic of words, and this may have been a reason why the druids who the Greeks and Romans encountered did not commit their lore to writing, not because they couldn’t – they used writing in many Celtic areas – but because by having the knowledge of names and words, you suddenly have access to this power. This idea of the power of the word is found in Egyptian, Judaeo-Christian, Greco-Roman and many other traditions. Perhaps, it’s also why the druids spent so long committing stories to memory and it could explain the importance of the bardic tradition too.

Bennathow
    /|\

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

W.T. wrote:

the christian statement like there is one god, and he is a jealous god, and if you have anything to do with other gods or goddesses you are going to hell,

And that is where I get my Theory from that if you are a Person that Worships a Monotheistic Greedy Jealous God that you then become a Jealous Person similar in Nature.

That is why there are so many Overzealous Greedy Jealous People in the Ranks of Monotheistic Religions.

3X3

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Anyways, I am not yet making any Plans for Celebrating Autumnal Equinox. I am still in the process of Celebrating Lughnasad.

But I usually Celebrate Autumnal Equinox with a Nice Camping Trip.

3X3

Startree
    Participant

I see the early poems and Celtic writing as direct proof of the druids having contact with the faery world, and the poems are the tales of the experiences that the druids have with the otherworld, like the poet Taliesin, who had adventures in faery land, and that is how sense can be made out of the authentic poems. only in the faery world could Taliesin have shapeshifted and survived days in a black leather bag floating around the ocean before he lands in a salmon net. I will have to get the proof of the goddesses creating the world but that should be easy to document. I think there will be plenty of proof that the druids have creation myths, and that I disagree with you on that on Dowgri. See, you seem to be discounting the Celtic otherworld in the druids power. Where do you think the druids got their magic? And no one would have given a damn about them if they had not had magic power. the mist is rising Dowgri, and you need to find a passage into the Celtic Otherworld. it is there where druids find the answers they seek. history is fine for academia but it just does not get you into druidville. I think the reason that the Celts did not write down anything is because the faeries would not allow it. and it is more the intention behind the words that carry the power and the visualization that carries the power. The whole idea of words caring magic is only in the movies. the bards have the ability to create images and rolling sound with words by the use of alliteration and repeating consonant sounds. we as druids do not live in a hobbit movie, we live in the real world of magic, where all things are interconnected. where herbs can heal because of the spirit of the herb. where we can travel to other dimensions by going up and down the world tree. screaming awen all day does not get you any awen, it just is creepy. and the world of druids is not run by a bunch of old history professors, and psychology professors, though many of them think they have found a door to the Celtic Otherworld, they have not, and spend their time in their campers and caravans while the faeries stay well away from them. dressing up like a druid, does not make you a druid. in fact, the over importance of history on druidry, only distracts and destroys druidry from having any real change in peoples’ lives. and taking Celtic tunes and turning them into rock song is not druidy, it is only entertainment at the most, I will say, the faeries do not like the kind of music that damm the bard plays. the faeries like real Celtic music on the pipes and fiddle and harp, and they would never amplify it. but if you are lucky, when you are on a walk in the country side, you may hear the real faery music playing. modern druids does a dis-service to us all when it turns Into history reenacting, and self help psychology, and it destroys the relationship with the Celtic Otherworld. This is what christianity has been doing from the start, and this destroys our planet, this destroys our relationship with he faery world, that is in the same space as we are. I blame most of this on the obod and their pop psychology and need to be in the press all the time. And again druidry is not witchcraft, as gomm tries to make it with his book druid craft. leave the witchcraft to the witches, they know how to use it. as druids we are the travelers between worlds, we are the poets and healers, and we are not re enactors, we are the real deal, the authentic druids, and we are here, and we are near the Celtic otherworld.

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

W.T. asked:

Where do you think the druids got their magic?

The Druids Get Their Magic From:
    – The Healing Powers Of Herbs,
    – Divinatory Powers Of The Ovate,
    – And The Mythical Stories of the Bard.

3X3

Dowrgi
    Participant

history is fine for academia but it just does not get you into druidville.

I’m afraid I’d have to beg to differ; if that were true, then why did druids and bards spend so many years of training learning the history, lore, law and genealogies of their respective peoples? The druids were most likely judges, and you can’t be a judge without a knowledge of your tribe’s legal history, can you? That’s just for starters. Secondly, the power of words and the secret use of words is alluded to in Celtic mythology and I think we’re on shaky ground if we start to contradict the actual writings or handed-down lore of the Celtic peoples themselves.

As for the Celtic otherworld and the fairies. In a strictly Celtic context, I’m not sure what fairies are supposed to be. If we want to talk about the Aos Sí, the Spyryson, the Piskies, the Bucca, the Tylwyth Teg, then it’s a bit easier. The trouble is, a lot of fairy lore was actually concocted during the Celtic Revival of the 19th and early 20th centuries and very often it doesn’t really correspond to the older lore in the Celtic countries themselves. Across the various Celtic literatures and mythologies, the otherworld varies in time and from place to place, usually it’s more of a reflection of the world in which the writers found themselves, but where everything is bigger, better, more perfect and so on. So, every place had an otherworld, but there didn’t seem be “the” otherworld.

In terms of a Celtic creation myth, there is none that has come down to us. That’s not to say that there wasn’t one – absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but on the other hand, what would be the point of a creation myth to a culture that believed in reincarnation and held a cyclical and inter-dimensional view of the universe?

I think the reason that the Celts did not write down anything

The trouble here is that many Celtic peoples did write stuff down and we have a fair, if not enormous, amount of Celtic texts from very ancient times, including texts that reference magic, divinity and so on. In the Táin Bó Cúailnge, Cú Chulainn cuts an ogham into hoops and staves to leave a message. Outside of mythology, Caesar sent his messages in Greek, not Latin, so as to avoid their being intercepted and understood by the Gauls and it is also noted that, when they wanted to, they wrote using Greek letters – a fact which is attested to by archaeological discoveries. This suggests that they may have been a little more literate than they have been credited as being.

Bennathow
    /|\

Startree
    Participant

Hi Dowgri, first it is great that you differ and disagree, and this is important in druidry. and it goes back to its hippy roots when everyone at the commune could see the world the way they want and the way that gives meaning to them. I don’t think you would be the excellent druid that you are if you just believed everything I say, and that you do differ is why you are such a great druid. The only problem with everybody doing their own thing is that one person puts the door to the bathroom, on , and another decided to take it off so he can look at the trees while pooping. But still, my point is, that as druids we need to see many views and not close our minds down, even though I am right,9 just joking) and you will in time, maybe, ten years, go, oh, so that is what William was trying to say, or in ten years, you may be saying to yourself, that William was crazy. either way, it makes you think, and see things in a new druids way. and I do read what you write and always learn new things from it, and I think you are great. And I also think that you are an excellent writer, and should write some books about where you live and the folklore and customs there, and how life is in Cornwall. Best William

Startree
    Participant

I want to plant a druid garden and find out that if I plant all the herbs and flowers that faeries love, will I have more faeries around my house. woodwoses are shaggy and naked, and covered in hair, and sometimes people think he is the greenmail, who like May Day. some plants I want to grow are patchouli, vervain, honeysuckle, mugwort, ferns vertivert, primrose, and horehound, the faeries also like bluebells. growing the vervain this summer was a disaster, and I have to find a way to get the little fellows going. I may have to get a little hot house. also, cowshit is very important to druids, because that stuff will grow anything. it is my firm belief that the faeries and the Celtic Gods and goddesses, those fine ladies, are where awen comes from, so I need lots of faeries around my house, and it would be nice to have a brownie cleaning up at night, because I am not too tidy. but I do have a bodran drum on the wall, and sometimes in the middle of the night, a little faerie beats on in three times, and it is always three times. and it is weird that the otherworld plays my bodran frame drum,. I kind of think it is cool, and it does not frighten me. I once knew a lady who had a big house and she lived with a ghost. she had conversations with the ghost and everything. but my house is a mess, and I don’t think any ghost will be moving in, also I have a st Bridgets cross on the door to keep the evil spriggans out. got to go now, need to play some banjo, Lola, la, la, la, la, Lola,

Dowrgi
    Participant

I want to plant a druid garden

Why not plant a hawthorn/whitethorn (Crataegus) tree and then leave a small patch around the tree wild? Just let what grows there naturally begin to grow. Of course, once you’ve planted that tree, it must never be harmed in any way or touched according to the folklore. Country folk in Britain use the haws to make preserves and the tree itself, with its haws, will attract wildlife. You could even decorate the tree with ribbons as some trees in Britain and Ireland at sacred sites are, and come May, you’ll have your own May tree. How about that idea?

Bennathow
    /|\

Startree
    Participant

I do need to plant a hawthorn tree. Dowgri there are lots of different kinds of hawthorns in the states. should I plant the hawthorn/whitethorn (Crataegus) tree. or do think another kind would be ok. I want to get the maximum number of the good folks around the house. gardening is a lot harder than people think it is. So I am reading these books by and obodian and it is talking about the obodian ovate course, and it seems that there is a lot of psychology over there. he is talking about the

This is, in the majority of cases, because their conscious self and their subconscious don’t agree, as I mentioned in the previous book. Therefore, if you can find out what drives you then you can become a whole person, who is driven by your own will and not by anyone else’s! These influencing factors can be broken down into several influences, which in Druidry we call spirits of something. This can be hard to understand, but I can make it simpler. What makes you do what you do is influenced by: • Your culture • Your genetic inheritance • Your local environment • The pressures of expectations • Where you are in history

Howlin, Brendan. Pagan Portals – The Urban Ovate: The Handbook of Psychological Druidry (p. 2). John Hunt Publishing. Kindle Edition.

but my point is that ovates are the ones who use magic, and that to me is not the same as psychology.

and then another point this guy makes is that many people put aside their sense of humour when they put on the Druid robe.

Howlin, Brendan. Pagan Portals – The Urban Ovate: The Handbook of Psychological Druidry (p. 4). John Hunt Publishing. Kindle Edition.

we need a sense of humor, and getting all uptight about druidry just shows how uptight these druids over at the obod can get when anyone questions their belief system, which seem to be very confusing and psychological based. and what is earth based religion? it all seems to be advertising to me, and not what druidry is really about.

then he also talks about this in druidry

The beauty of Druidry is that it does not stipulate a religious belief. You are free to frame your concept of Deity in whatever way suits you. Hence I know of Christian Druids, Buddhist Druids, Pagan Druids, Secular Druids and even one Sufi Druid. In this confused modern age, a way of life that respects difference is most important. Druids share a common practice not a common set of beliefs, so the Druid who stands next to me may believe entirely different things to me but we can still stand together in tolerance and understanding.

Howlin, Brendan. The Handbook of Urban Druidry: Modern Druidry for All (pp. 1-2). John Hunt Publishing. Kindle Edition.

see I think you can be christian and a druid, but I don’t see how you can be a christian druid. I just don’t think the two can be combined. Celts can live with paradox, like two thing that conflict, but you just can’t combine things that are so different. I think the history of druidry proves that the druids were not christians. and this thing about druids all being so tolerant is not how it is in real life. I found that if I disagreed with the obodians they attacked my beliefs and my character if i questioned any obodian teachings, and I did not find them to be tolerant at all, in fact I found many of them to be downright abusive of other people’s rights of belief, I think it is stretching it too far to say druids do not share a common set of beliefs, and I do not think druids share a commons set of practices, anyway I think these books will give me some insight to the wacky world of the obodians. I am fascinated by them because they are so hard to pin down on anything and are as slippery as river frogs when in comes to trying to figure out what they are and what they really think.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept