A Tale to be Told

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum A Tale to be Told

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Startree
    Participant

There is a really good audio book of The Mabinogion on amazon, and it is not expensive, I like the audio book because it pronounces all of the Celtic names, and found it easier to learn because reading all the names just bores me and makes me want to put the book down, but listening to it on audiobook is mighty. have fun, William Taliesin St. C

The Mabinogion
    By: Sioned Davies – Translator
    Narrated by: James Cameron Stewart

Dannorix
    Participant

There’s also a version read by Ronald Hutton. And I totally agree, listening to the Four Branches really makes them come alive more. Too bad there isn’t an audio book of Taliesin’s poems and the main Irish stories.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi Dannorix.

I think there is an audio translation of the Táin Bó Cúailnge by Thomas Kinsella and there is also a spoken word version of the Mabinogion produced by OBOD. Lisa Gerrard (Dead Can Dance) and Patrick Cassidy did a beautiful version of the Song of Amergin in Irish, you can find it on the Immortal Memory (2004) album. The Welsh group Ffynon have also set Welsh poetry to music, including a version of Pais Dinogad, the oldest known verses in a Brythonic language if I’m not mistaken. There are also a number of Breton singers who have done versions of Breton poetry and if you’re interested in Breton music, you could start with Alan Stivell. Brenda Wootton recorded traditional Cornish songs and Dalla also did versions of traditional Cornish music and poetry.

It is indeed difficult to find audio versions of Celtic literature, nevertheless, some of the poetry set to music and traditional song still gives you a great feel for the spirit of the works and is also a nice way to get into the languages too.

Bennathow
    /|\

Dannorix
    Participant

Thanks, Dowrgi. I’ll definitly try to hunt these down. Already found Lisa Gerrard and Alan Stivell. Absolutely haunting. I got this on repeat now: Iwan Gamus by Denez Prigent. Thanks again, /|\ Dannorix.

david poole
    Participant

Gary and Ruth Colcombe have produced dramatisations of the Mabinogion and the Irish Book of Invasions, and are planning to do some other mythologies as well. Damh the Bard has dramatised three of the Branches and has just completed work on the third branch. I quite like Sioned Davis but Taliesin is not in it.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi David,

The Welsh artist Sianed Jones (you can find her page on Bandcamp) has produced some musical versions of Taliesin’s poetry. The album Taliesin has five tracks:
    Midwyf Daliesin, Can y Gwynt, Buarth Beirdd, Cwyndawd and Arall Addwyn. The language is Welsh, but the lyrics and translations in English are available on her page at the site. You might also like to check out another album, Lliwio’r Gair, by the same artist and available on her page.

Bennathow
    /|\

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Dowrgi.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept