A healing prayer or chant for our times …

The British Druid Order Forums Student Support Forums Bardic Student Support Forum A healing prayer or chant for our times …

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Dowrgi
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Considering what’s happening in the world, I felt the need to write this. I’ve written it in Kernewek (Cornish) and English. My Cornish is “learner’s” Cornish, so I apologise if there are any mistakes.

Merrowgh war’tu ha’n howldrehevel!
    Ro dhyn ni yaghus.
    Merrowgh war’tu ha’n howlsesdhes!
    Ro dhyn ni yaghus.
    Merrowgh war’tu ha’n dhyghowbarth!
    Ro dhyn ni yaghus.
    Merrowgh war’tu ha’n gleth!
    Ro dhyn ni yaghus.
    Tus henavek, tus yowynk, nep yu gwan, nep yu cref.
    Skyans an meyn,
    Golowys an howl,
    Kan an gwyns.
    Amm an mor,
    Ro dhyn ni skentoleth, ro dhyn ni yaghus.

Look to the east!
    Grant us healing.
    Look to the west!
    Grant us healing.
    Look to the south!
    Grant us healing.
    Look to the north!
    Grant us healing.
    Elderly people, the young, those who are weak, those who are strong.
    Wisdom of the stones,
    Rays of the sun,
    Song of the wind,
    Caress of the sea,
    Grant us wisdom, grant us healing.

Bennathow.
    /|\

david poole
    Participant

These are beautiful and heartfelt words Dowrgi; these words have been well chosen. Your command of Cornish appears very good; I admit that I do not know any languages aside from English, but this is something useful to have. Thank you for sharing with us.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Kind words, David. I’m glad you like what I wrote. Stay safe.

Bennathow.
    /|\

Dowrgi
    Participant

As I was watering my plants, there was a bumblebee buzzing around. The sudden thought came to me how the bee just carried on as normal, the bee perhaps completely unaware of our human crisis and that if we all disappeared, the bee would just carry on as normal. It was a humbling thought.

Bennathow.
    /|\

Francesco Curci
    Participant

I like this chant very much! I’ve done an Italian translation, as you proposed me:

“Guarda ad est!
    Donaci guarigione.
    Guarda a ovest!
    Donaci guarigione.
    Guarda a sud!
    Donaci guarigione.
    Guarda a nord!
    Donaci guarigione.
    Anziani, giovani,
    quanti son deboli, quanti son forti.
    Saggezza delle pietre,
    Raggi del sole
    Canto del vento,
    Carezza del mare,
    Donateci saggezza, donateci guarigione.”

I hope it can reach as many people as possible!

Dowrgi
    Participant

Meur ras ow sos! Mille grazie mio amico!

Bennathow.
    /|\

Dowrgi
    Participant

I’ve just noticed a typo! For *howlsesdhes please read *howlsedhes.

Bennathow.
    /|\

Greywolf
    Keymaster

Thank you for posting this, Dowgri. We all need to do all we can to put healing out into the world at this time. I’ve been doing my bit, recording things and creating videos on my home office desktop. They will emerge as posts from the various BDO social media channels, but here are the links. Feel free to share 🙂

A Chant for Healing & Protection

A Prayer for Long Life & A Good Old Age

Many blessings,
    Greywolf /|\

david poole
    Participant

Thank you for sharing these excellent chants Philip. I have watched the longer version of the chant for healing and protection, and I was very interested in the serpent sigil with the three arrows. Could you please explain a little bit about that? I am guessing that it is meant to be some kind of representation of the virus to be used in visualisation?

Dowrgi
    Participant

Thanks Greywolf.

I particularly like Cétnad nAíse. I tend to agree with the idea that it’s far more pre-Christian in origin than Christian, despite interpolations or overlays and it certainly doesn’t fit with what we’d expect from a lorica in the style of Faeth Fiada or the very well-known St Patrick’s Breastplate – and even they may carry some pre-Christian notions over in them too.

I wonder if the Seven Daughters are not a reference to the Pleiades? The Greeks referred to the Pleiades as seven sisters, and Greek sailors would time the sailing season by the conjunction and opposition of the Pleiades with the sun in spring and autumn respectively. The legends surrounding the Pleiades are very much connected to the sea, especially Halcyone and Poseidon, so I wonder if there isn’t some very ancient mariner’s lore in this too.

Bennathow.
    /|\

Anonymous

May the goddess Brìghde comfort you,
    May the goddess Rhiannon give you the strength
    To endure,
    May the goddess Cerridwen heal you with her herbs,
    and May the good god, Dagda, return you to health.

Octavia
    Participant

I’m a bit late to this topic but I’d like to share the Spanish translation as I really liked the chant!

“¡Mira hacia el este!
    Concédenos curación.
    ¡Mira hacia el oeste!
    Concédenos curación.
    ¡Mira hacia el sur!
    Concédenos curación.
    ¡Mira hacia el norte!
    Concédenos curación.
    Ancianos, jóvenes,
    aquellos que son débiles, aquellos que son fuertes.
    Sabiduría de las piedras,
    Rayos del sol,
    Canción del viento
    Caricia del mar,
    Concédenos sabiduría, concédenos curación.”

Dowrgi
    Participant

Thanks Octavia. I’m sorry for the late reply, I’ve only just seen yours! Oh well, better late than never.

That’s a great translation that you’ve done in Spanish.

Bennathow
    /|\

Octavia
    Participant

No need to thank, that prayer was very inspiring, and translating was a great process as needed to fully understand and interiorize before to “reborn” as a different language. Thank you for creating and sharing it!

Greywolf
    Keymaster

Hi David,
    Just noting that it’s taken me almost a year to get around to replying. In my defence, I have been putting in 40 plus hours a week revising the bardic course, but still, a year is a long time…
    The Serpent pierced by a lightning bolt is found on several Pictish symbol stones in Scotland. You’re right. I included it in the video because it felt like lightning piercing the dark Serpent of the virus, though it could also be seen as the white Serpent of healing manifesting its power.
    Many blessings,
    Greywolf /|\

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.