1685 Falconry Incident

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum 1685 Falconry Incident

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

U.N. Owen Wrote:
    “On this day in 1685 a Sparrow Hawk escaped from the Tower of London falconry. It perched on one of the iron crowns on top of the White Tower. Somehow it’s jessies became entangled in the ironwork and the unfortunate bird hung by it’s heels until dead. This was seen as a really bad omen.

Later that day – King Charles II died – possibly from Uraemia.”

I searched and search and can not find Confirmation on this Story anywhere on the Internet.

Is there something to this Tower of London Falconry Story?

3X3

Dowrgi
    Participant

I think it has been slightly altered, however, it appears to be from John Aubrey’s Miscellanies upon Various Subjects (1695)

“Not long before the death of King Charles II. a Sparrow-hawk escaped from the perch, and pitched on one of the iron crowns of the white tower, and entangling its string in the crown, hung by the heels and died. Not long after, another hawk pitched on one of the crowns. From Sir Edward Sherborne, Knight.”

Bennathow
    /|\

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant
    Dowrgi
    Participant

What’s the source of the original quote that you posted? Aubrey’s version, I presume the original, is a bit different.

By the way, the word is jesses – not ‘jessies’ – for the leather, tethering straps used in falconry.

Bennathow
    /|\

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.