Reply To: Who’s afraid of the big bad witch?

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Who’s afraid of the big bad witch? Reply To: Who’s afraid of the big bad witch?

Dowrgi
Participant

Archaeologists and historians can be rather scathing as well. Ronald Hutton might be the only academic who can tell a compelling and understanding narrative towards paganism and Druidry as it is today; he is somewhat aligned with OBOD, so he does carry that perspective and his work can be academically rather than spiritually orientated, but he is a good spokesperson generally.

It might sound strange, but its good that archaeologists and historians are “scathing”, within reason and in a sense, because they’re doing their jobs properly. A scientist of any sort has to look at things with a critical eye and apply logic and Occam’s razor based on the evidence that they have; that’s fair enough. Having said that, if I want to seek inspiration in the land, I don’t necessarily need to know which pottery-culture and period the menhir or kistvaen in question belongs to if you see what I mean. Nonetheless, the druids of old were esteemed as natural scientists, botanists and astronomersof their time, so I think it’s also important to seek out knowledge and accurate information and let’s be honest, there’s a lot of very poorly written and spurious nonsense written about druidism out there too. I too have felt very let down at times on learning that something that I had previously held important turned out to be made up, conjecture or, to put it bluntly, just rubbish.

With regard to Ronald Hutton, I’ve read some of his works and I find him quite readable and informative, although I did read that he came in for a lot of flack from some quarters after he published the Triumph of the Moon. Personally, I think Professor Hutton is doing exactly what a historian should do, that is to question and scrutinise claims against historical evidence, if that doesn’t suit people because it doesn’t fit in with their own narrative, so be it, but you can’t blame a historian for being a historian, can you? Moreover, I find Professor Hutton’s approach refreshingly open minded.