Reply To: The Book of Invasions

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum The Book of Invasions Reply To: The Book of Invasions

david poole
Participant

Thank you for that response Dowrgi. I remember some of those stories better now, like Nuada losing his arm. There is another story about the Dagda that I now recall, of how he gave two gold coins to a man who then died and how he was held responsible until being acquitted, or something like that. Then there was another story which I heard in which he used his club to bring some dead men back to life. There is a major battle in the Book Of Invasions, or maybe more than one; in this story, each of the gods, druids and heroes pledge to bring certain qualities or gifts to the battle. They each say what they will do to help the Children of Danu. I can’t remember what the Dagda pledges, but I can’t remember him using his club during this particular sequence of stories. Maybe he got the club at some later stage. I think that he has to pledge the sun, the moon and the stars in order to get it. In my telling of the story of Fionn and the salmon of wisdom I used a number of different sources and tried to combine them together to use all of it. I don’t know if that was a faithful approach; the original tale may have been quite different. I interpreted it as it were, so it should not be taken as reliable, just as an exercise in storytelling craft. Isn’t the Cerne Abbas giant supposed to be the Dagda, he does wield a club. I remember something about the leadership being supposed to be for men who were physically fit, hence Nuada not being able to be the king after losing his arm. In some of the later stories I can remember a distinctly Christian element such as mention of the White Christ, and Enya converting to Christianity. I thought that dagda was a word that could be applied to anyone who was extremely good at what they do, hence the Dagda is the good god because he is supposed to be extremely good at what he does. He is famous for being extremely large and extremely hungry, the cauldron which he carries produces food. One story concerns a peasant who tries to take away some of the Dagda’s pigs because he thinks the Dagda is too large. I think the Dagda is supposed to possess a staff but I can’t remember what if anything is said about that, but then I have only read a fraction of the stories so far so can’t claim to know anything like the whole story.