Reply To: Meditation Practice

Dowrgi
Participant

My question is how do you know where imagination stops and the mediation process starts?

Hello there, and a late good morning.

I think what you’re asking may be more of a case of the difference between meditation and (active) visualisation. You may also have answered your own question when you ask whether or not you are overthinking things. To take your feather example, you use the words “I bring myself back on track…” Why? Obviously, if you’re upset or finding it distressing, it’s important to be able to snap out, on the other hand, if your meditation on a feather is taking you unexpected places, why not go with it?

With the technique from the Bardic course, what I try to do is not think about the object, but wait until the images or sensations appear in my mind – allowing the object to be a kind of mantra in itself if you like. At the end of the day, you’re the one seeing, listening to and feeling those sensations, so why not go with them and then “think” about them afterwards?

I’ve had some experiences with different techniques of meditation of the years, and one thing that always stuck with me was the idea that when you are “talking” to “yourself” in “your” mind, who’s listening? Focus on the listener. Another thing I’ve learned over the years is that trying too hard is maybe as futile as not trying hard enough.

Anyway, that’s my take on your question and I hope it helps.

Bennathow.
/|\