Reply To: Bardic 13 Supplement?

Myrddin
Participant

Hello Greywolf,
    Thanks for your response – I had just worked out that Bardic 15 contained what had probably been intended as a supplement when I saw your post!
    I’m impressed that you are taking on the harp, it’s a pretty big build. No doubt you will acquire any number of new skills along the way. I wish you well.
    I enjoyed your ‘review’ of musicians, and while I know you can never name everyone there were one or two ‘special’ people you missed.
    The great Sandy Denny (I was lucky enough to see the interation of Fairport with Sandy, Richard Thompson and Dave Swarbrick – gives away our ages somewhat!), whose “Who knows where the time goes” is one of my all time favourite songs. Another worth a listen if you haven’t heard it is “Fotheringay” – Sandy and Richard Thompson dueting on guitars. Beautiful. Swarb of course is the epitomy of the folk fiddle and mandolin musician.
    Another you failed to mention, and the inspiration for my first instrument build, is Joni Mitchell. Her album ‘Blue’ led me to construct a mountain dulcimer. As a long time sufferer from MIAS (Musical Instrument Acquisition Syndrome) I couldn’t stop there. Some years ago a made a stick dulcimer, sometimes called a strumstick, with a mahogany neck and empty tin of fudge(!) as a soundbox. Very similar to your Timpan, but tuned DAD, with brass frets and a small antique hinge for a heel. It’s fretted diatonically so there are no ‘wrong’ notes and it’s easy for even non-musicians to play. I added a piezo pick-up just for fun. I’ve been “commissioned” by my eldest daughter and grandson to make a short neck version which they intend to take on camping trips with their friends to play around the campfire.
    Having read booklet 15, I now fancy trying a lyre, and I’ve still got a lovely slab of mahogany which I intend to use for a lap steel guitar. So many plans, so little time!
    Finally thank you for the immense effort you have, and are, putting into the course booklets, they’re superb!
    Blessings
    Myrddin