Reply To: Just saying hello …

True Owl
Participant

Hi Dowrgi,

Thank you for your message of sympathy for my Mum.

Re: “Did you visit Tintagel, or perhaps Boscastle, when you were up on the North coast?” _Dowrgi.

We had visited both Tintagel & Boscastle on a previous holiday (staying further south in Cornwall at the time) some years ago, so we didn’t go to those places this time.

Although we were staying near Bude in Cornwall, we were more northerly this time, and so we tended to go to places in Devon. We went to Clovelly, where no cars are allowed in that village. You walk down a very steep cobbled stone street for half a mile, where at the bottom we had a local folk band performing whilst we had a picnic. Then after a while, it was the half mile walk back up the cobbled stone streets, with stops along the way with museums, pubs, and local trade & gift shops along the way.

We also went to a lovely Garden Centre (Merry Harriers Garden Centre) near Bideford, which also had a miniature village close by of 100’s of gnomes that you walked through on a trail, (called The Gnome Reserve).

We celebrated our 41st Wedding Anniversary with an evening dinner at a restaurant called the Farmers Arms at Woolsery (highly recommend it), of which has a Michelin chef – the food (from their own farm only) was absolutely delicious. I have never had such luscious & tender lamb in my life – it was cooked to perfection & beautiful !

Spent a shopping day in Bude – there are so many roads & shops there in the town centre, we could not get around them all.
    We also visited the famous glass making company Dartington Glass, and watched the team traditionally working to make the various glass shapes of bottles, vases & glasses for selling – really interesting. We bought some glass items from their shop there, which make for wonderful ornaments.

We enjoyed seeing all the little quaint gift shops in the local area, selling craft made jewellery, gnomes & pixies, and books of stories about local legends. From one of the little shops, I purchased a Celtic style copper wrist bangle, (popular in folklore for thousands of years for helping with arthritis) – the bangle looks good, and is different to the others I already have.

It was a very nice break indeed, which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Thanks.

Blessings,

Jules.