Reply To: Awen & Me

True Owl
Participant

Hi Dowrgi,

Great input, thanks – This is turning into a really interest conversation.

Re: Iolo & Nwyfre – I totally agree with you on your stance of being wary of anything Iolo. But as you say, he did do a lot for druid revivalism, etc.

I also don’t know why he used the word ‘Nwyfre’ either & changed its meaning, when there are other words which are closer to the mark (as you say, such as ‘nerth’ plus other Welsh words).

The only thing I would say, is that rightly or wrongly, Nwyfre has now come to mean Life force, prana, or chi, mainly through the courses over the years from OBOD, and the term has caught on globally. As mentioned, I just see the word as a label. But, at least when someone speaks of it, we can understand where they are coming from.

Re: “Celtic deities and mythological figures often have numerous names, so often we could actually be dealing with the same figure under a different name or guise.” _Dowrgi.

Yes, I agree and even between the Irish & Welsh mythologies, some have been expressed as the same person. (ie. Lugh Lamfhota was the hero and formidable warrior in Irish Myth, and he is also known as Lleu in Welsh mythology).

Blessings,
    Jules.