Reply To: Rune Stones

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Rune Stones Reply To: Rune Stones

Dowrgi
Participant

Hi Mark,

Glad you’re feeling rewarded. Take your time and pace yourself! πŸ˜€

The Religion of the Ancient Celts, MacCulloch, is full of information, but be cautious with material from the late 19th and early 20th centuries as some of the conclusions they draw and ideas in general are a bit outdated or inaccurate and, obviously, also flavoured by the opinions of the time. I’ve also got, and read, The Voice within the Wind, Greywind, and in the Bookshelf thread of the Bardic Forum, there’s a review I did. Why not add your own reviews to that thread? At the moment I’m dipping into Pagan Celtic Britain, Anne Ross, (Revised Ed. 2005). It’s very interesting from an archaeological and historical point of view even if, I’m afraid to say, I don’t always enjoy the “tone” at times, nevertheless, there’s a wealth of information in there.

As for the Iliad, I hope you managed to find a poetic translation as opposed to the prose, the poetic translation alongside the Homeric Greek is by far the best way to enjoy this work, the same goes for Beowulf – I have an Old English version with the Modern English on the opposite page; these were meant to be recited and sung, I just don’t think prose does them any justice.

The Iliad is also interesting because it forms the basis of a very interesting theory that ancient peoples did not necessarily think – in a neurological and psychological sense – the same way that we do and that this change can be seen if we compare the Iliad to the Odyssey and also consider other very ancient works, see: The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, Julian Jaynes, 1976. The theory is not without controversy, but it makes for very interesting reading and if nothing else, it gives you some great insights into language and the use of language regardless of the psychology.

Bennathow
    /|\