Reply To: Rune Stones

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Rune Stones Reply To: Rune Stones

Dowrgi
Participant

Morning Mark,

Simpler than that would just be to count them. Excluding an extra blank rune, if there is one, an elder futhark set should have 24 runes, the younger futhark 16 runes and the Anglo-Saxon (also known as Anglo-Frisian) futhark should have 30 runes, or more if additional symbols have been included. There is a bit of variation with the symbols, especially the younger futhark and later Scandinavian developments through the Viking Age and into the Medieval period – in some areas of Sweden, runic writing even survived until the early 20th century. In Iceland there was also a development of runic script and the Galdrabók, dating from the late 15th to early 17th centuries, contains a mixture of Medieval to Renaissance lore, Christian “folk magic” and runic material. The blank rune is a modern invention if I’m not mistaken.

A book I’d recommend would be Long Branches: Runes of the Younger Futhark, by Ann Groa Sheffield. Although the book deals principally with the younger futhark, it does go into the background, mythology and lore behind the symbols into a lot of detail and references the elder futhark, too. In my opinion, you can’t really undertake serious rune work without a good grounding in the Germanic/Norse mythologies and cultures. Also be aware that most of the esoteric material about runes dates from the early 20th century onwards. How they may have been used by ancient Germanic seers is still open to conjecture, that’s why I’d recommend looking at the early Anglo-Saxon and Scandinavian rune poems as a good place to start.

Bennathow (which is Cornish for – blessings 😀 )
    /|\