Reply To: When was the first Winter Solstice Celebration/Festival

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum When was the first Winter Solstice Celebration/Festival Reply To: When was the first Winter Solstice Celebration/Festival

tony1kenobi
Participant

I would like to think it was 2.8 billion years ago 🙂

It’s difficult to say when, but I’d hazard a guess that when the first agricultural communities emerged, those communities started to mark the seasons as it was fundamental to know when to sow and reap and so on. I may be wrong on this, but I believe that the great megaliths and henges found in Britain and Ireland coincide with the arrival of agriculture – more or less. So, perhaps we’re not far off the mark with saying that solstice celebrations began with agriculture. Maybe?

I have heard this argument too, about stone circles connecting with agriculture. I think this may be true as agriculture is connected with the seasons therefore our ancestors would have had to have known the movements of the sun and the stars and time in order to know when to plant. Stone circles would have given them more precise control over this.

That makes good sense and logic to me. Thanks for the answers.