Reply To: Bardic Music: healing in times of trouble

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Bardic Music: healing in times of trouble Reply To: Bardic Music: healing in times of trouble

Dowrgi
Participant

Is it just me whose brain is wired this way or do you also find healing in music?

Very much so!

I’ve got Celtic folk, classic 80s Goth rock, 90s dance, Reggae, Ry Cooder slide guitar blues, 60s and 70s stuff from The Kinks, The Who, and Donovan to Marc Bolan, 70s, 80s and 90s hip-hop, the whole Manchester Indie scene, Classical, folk, ancient, World folk … you name it! I try to listen to as much as I can from as many different genres. The first songs I can remember listening to were Beatles’ songs with my mum – apparently, I was also a big fan of Shakin’ Stevens! Like most people, I presume, there’s music to go with your mood. I tend to listen to more Goth stuff in the winter, sorry if that seems like some sort of a cliché, whereas the summer brings out different tastes. Recently I’ve been messing around with synths and mixers, so we’ll see how that goes. I’ve also been trying to do slide on an acoustic bass – with mixed results, but still. 😀

That horse-hair telyn rawn has a lovely sound and it does definitely have a sound that takes me back to other times and places. It’s got that warm, earthy and slightly “tangy” pitch that just sounds ancient to me. It may not be as crisp or clean sounding, but sometimes when it’s too “perfect”, I think it loses a bit of soul – if you know what I mean?

Bennathow
/|\