Reply To: Cultural appropriation versus cultural appreciation

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Cultural appropriation versus cultural appreciation Reply To: Cultural appropriation versus cultural appreciation

david poole
Participant

I think that schools such as the Irish Pagan School are very good for Celtic reconstruction in general. I felt that I knew much more about Celtic culture by studying sources such as this. On the other hand I am generally disappointed regarding some subjects such as Ogham. I am aware that there are many different kinds of ogham but all people talk about is the tree ogham. I would like to see much more comprehensive discussion of this subject but there appears to be none, it is all predictable. Dr Gwilym takes the same line that Lora O’Brien takes, that there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. The point about Lora in particular is that she offers a number of different solutions in which a culture can be treated with respect, which is different from endlessly discussing the subject without a solution, in other words she offers a way forward and a way out of the dilemma.