Reply To: Rewriting Of Genese 1, Verses 26 to 31

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Rewriting Of Genese 1, Verses 26 to 31 Reply To: Rewriting Of Genese 1, Verses 26 to 31

Raven.
Participant

Dowgri, I hear what you are saying, but I think that the paper is dealing with the idea that humans feel that they have been granted a divine right to destroy the Earth. Once the sacred had been erased from the landscape, ecological destruction could then proceed with few qualms. Christianity has been instrumental in the promotion of this. I live in a Presbyterian part of the country and this view of dominance and entitlement is still strongly held. My veganism, for example, is often challenged with “well, animals were put here by God for us to use.”

White ends his article with: “Since the roots of our trouble are so largely religious, the remedy must also be essentially religious, whether we call it that or not.”
I absolutely agree. We can throw money at the problem or devise complex technological fixes, but until we as a species rethink our relationship with Nature, I feel that we (and other species) will not emerge from this crisis intact. Instead of relying only on technological solutions, we also need to rediscover our part in Nature, our role.

We need to re-wild our souls and become part of Nature, not continue with the illusion of being separate from it or above it. I feel that there is a shift towards this view in many young people today. The role of education becomes more important than ever in this respect, and schools are now incorporating environmental awareness into their curricula – not just in the sciences, but in citizenship, religious education and also in the ethos and operation of schools themselves. Environmental awareness, sustainability and outdoor learning are slowly, but surely, gaining prominence.

Carl Sagan stated that “a religion old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the universe as revealed by modern science, might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths. Sooner or later such a religion will emerge.”