Reply To: Alban Elfed, the festival of the elves

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Alban Elfed, the festival of the elves Reply To: Alban Elfed, the festival of the elves

Anonymous

I do need to plant a hawthorn tree. Dowgri there are lots of different kinds of hawthorns in the states. should I plant the hawthorn/whitethorn (Crataegus) tree. or do think another kind would be ok. I want to get the maximum number of the good folks around the house. gardening is a lot harder than people think it is. So I am reading these books by and obodian and it is talking about the obodian ovate course, and it seems that there is a lot of psychology over there. he is talking about the

This is, in the majority of cases, because their conscious self and their subconscious don’t agree, as I mentioned in the previous book. Therefore, if you can find out what drives you then you can become a whole person, who is driven by your own will and not by anyone else’s! These influencing factors can be broken down into several influences, which in Druidry we call spirits of something. This can be hard to understand, but I can make it simpler. What makes you do what you do is influenced by: • Your culture • Your genetic inheritance • Your local environment • The pressures of expectations • Where you are in history

Howlin, Brendan. Pagan Portals – The Urban Ovate: The Handbook of Psychological Druidry (p. 2). John Hunt Publishing. Kindle Edition.

but my point is that ovates are the ones who use magic, and that to me is not the same as psychology.

and then another point this guy makes is that many people put aside their sense of humour when they put on the Druid robe.

Howlin, Brendan. Pagan Portals – The Urban Ovate: The Handbook of Psychological Druidry (p. 4). John Hunt Publishing. Kindle Edition.

we need a sense of humor, and getting all uptight about druidry just shows how uptight these druids over at the obod can get when anyone questions their belief system, which seem to be very confusing and psychological based. and what is earth based religion? it all seems to be advertising to me, and not what druidry is really about.

then he also talks about this in druidry

The beauty of Druidry is that it does not stipulate a religious belief. You are free to frame your concept of Deity in whatever way suits you. Hence I know of Christian Druids, Buddhist Druids, Pagan Druids, Secular Druids and even one Sufi Druid. In this confused modern age, a way of life that respects difference is most important. Druids share a common practice not a common set of beliefs, so the Druid who stands next to me may believe entirely different things to me but we can still stand together in tolerance and understanding.

Howlin, Brendan. The Handbook of Urban Druidry: Modern Druidry for All (pp. 1-2). John Hunt Publishing. Kindle Edition.

see I think you can be christian and a druid, but I don’t see how you can be a christian druid. I just don’t think the two can be combined. Celts can live with paradox, like two thing that conflict, but you just can’t combine things that are so different. I think the history of druidry proves that the druids were not christians. and this thing about druids all being so tolerant is not how it is in real life. I found that if I disagreed with the obodians they attacked my beliefs and my character if i questioned any obodian teachings, and I did not find them to be tolerant at all, in fact I found many of them to be downright abusive of other people’s rights of belief, I think it is stretching it too far to say druids do not share a common set of beliefs, and I do not think druids share a commons set of practices, anyway I think these books will give me some insight to the wacky world of the obodians. I am fascinated by them because they are so hard to pin down on anything and are as slippery as river frogs when in comes to trying to figure out what they are and what they really think.