Reply To: Alban Elfed, the festival of the elves

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Alban Elfed, the festival of the elves Reply To: Alban Elfed, the festival of the elves

Dowrgi
Participant

I think this is where you are wrong, the world belongs to the world and not god. …

Well, I don’t think it’s fair to blame me, I did not author Leviticus. Joking aside, I’m afraid you’ve missed or, perhaps, misinterpreted the point. The citation from Leviticus, among others, suggests that from a scriptural point of view, presumably something a devout Christian would not quibble with, that the world does not belong to humans, we have a temporary lease, so to speak. Your initial claim was that the destruction of the environment owes itself to Christian theology and ideology, however, the quotes from scripture seem to contradict that view. Whether you agree with the cosmological implications of that scripture is another matter and beside the point.

Furthermore, there are also druids who are monotheistic, pantheistic, panentheistic, atheistic and so on: you’ll be as hard pressed to define druidry with one standard cosmology and belief system as you will with many other religions and creeds, including Christianity. The trouble with all of these theological debates is that no one can prove anything and that the concepts are so abstract and subjective as to render any kind of “I’m right, you’re wrong” arguments completely futile.

Saint Augustine wrote that the Gauls were among the people whose philosophers believed in some kind of “supreme creator god”, which is also interesting. On the subject of which, I’d recommend the book that I think Dannorix recommended a while back, The World of the Gauls: Foundation(s) of a Celtic Philosophy, Antón Bousquet (2018), in which the author discusses this very point (p.40-).

When it comes to the environment, if you ask me, many of the indigenous hunter-gatherer cultures around the world have it far more sussed out than we do and the key word in all of this is balance. As human beings we are in a sense of nature but not in it, in which case we must seek that harmony and balance otherwise we’re done for.

Bennathow
/|\