Reply To: Alban Elfed, the festival of the elves

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Alban Elfed, the festival of the elves Reply To: Alban Elfed, the festival of the elves

Dowrgi
Participant

Good morning.

I think too many issues are being conflated here and this makes it difficult to respond.

On the subject of Christian attitudes, I’m not sure you should make such sweeping generalisations because they could easily be countered with passages from the Bible: in Genesis 1:31, God sees that all that he has made is good and this sentiment is also echoed in Psalm 104:31; in Job 12:7-10 we also find nature, animals and plants that can teach humans about the glory of creation and in Leviticus 25:23 the notion is put forward quite clearly, given that Leviticus is legal text, that the world does not belong to humans but to God. There are numerous other passages that teach respect and kindness towards animals and nature, albeit relative to their historical contexts.

St Francis of Assisi is the Patron Saint of Ecology owing to the legends about him and his love of nature and animals, famously preaching to the birds and having a wolf as a companion. St Francis’s Canticle of the Sun – the Laudes Creaturarum – speaks about Brother Sun, Wind and Sister Moon and so on, to be honest, if you took out the obvious Christian phrases such as “my Lord” and asked many people today who were unfamiliar with it, they would be forgiven for thinking that it were not a pagan piece of writing. As has been mentioned before in other threads, there are stories surrounding many Celtic saints which also include a positive interaction with animals and nature, the most notable in my opinion being St Petroc’s taming of a dragon and rescuing of a deer.

Pope Francis, the current pope, has also spoken about the importance of environmentalism and respect for nature. Many other leaders of Christian denominations have also had a prominent role in this debate and John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, advocated vegetarianism.

So, whereas some Christians may indeed hold certain views about our relationship to nature and the environment which might be considered unscientific or exploitative and so on by others, that does not mean that these are intrinsically Christian views nor that they be held be all members of all denominations.