Reply To: Exploring what Ronald Hutton thinks about druidry?

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Exploring what Ronald Hutton thinks about druidry? Reply To: Exploring what Ronald Hutton thinks about druidry?

Anonymous

Be of good cheer, and happy lunasa, there is great inspiration and empowerment in druidry, and there is great interrelationship with nature and the fellowship of druids, just like the early celtic knotwork jewelry that by the end of the third millennium BC goldworking had become well established in Ireland and Britain together with a highly productive copper and bronzeworking industry. Jennifer, I think your review of the book was right on target, and summed it up excellently. What I found interesting in the introduction of the book was how much hutton seems to have influenced the modern druid leaders in 1991. Hutton met them at a conference in 1991

It was at Tim’s conference that I properly got to know Philip Carr-Gomm, Emma Restall Orr, John Michell, Rollo Maughfling, Philip Shallcrass and other people who feature prominently in the history (to date) of modern Druidry.

Hutton, Ronald. Blood and Mistletoe: The History of the Druids in Britain (Kindle Locations 212-214). Yale University Press. Kindle Edition.

And his description of them is

Contemporary Druidry is not the central spiritual tradition of my own life; it is not even my favourite one among those which make up the current range of Britain’s ‘alternative’ spiritualities. Still, I find its tenets attractive and exciting, because they are deeply concerned with two phenomena, the natural history and prehistory of Britain, which are old and enduring loves of my own. Few things can divide people more effectively, of course, than common enthusiasms; but the Druids with whom I have dealt have been so remarkably lacking in dogmatism, let alone fundamentalism, that a serious clash has never developed.

Hutton, Ronald. Blood and Mistletoe: The History of the Druids in Britain (Kindle Locations 224-228). Yale University Press. Kindle Edition.