Reply To: Exploring what Ronald Hutton thinks about druidry?

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Exploring what Ronald Hutton thinks about druidry? Reply To: Exploring what Ronald Hutton thinks about druidry?

Anonymous

Ok, so in the first chapter hutton describes his first evidence of druids. And these are druids in Europe, But I believe that druidry originated from the tuatha de Danann. Hutton does make a point that the first use of the something like druid name comes from the greeks. However, the danube river is in Europe, and it makes sense that the tuatha de danann were living along the river, and still do, like the elves of Rivendell. Also, I think that the druids were in the UK much earlier than 200BC. The druids go back way beyond Stonehenge in the UK , because the druids are people who are friends of the Tuatha de Danann. And in contrast to what many modern contemporary druids think, I believe that the druids helped in building Stonehenge. It is historians total lack of understanding of the faerie tribes, I guess because the historians’ mums told them that there were no such things as faeries when they were young, so that they could block out and repress their memories of the little red hat faery who visited them at night at grandmums house in the country, that make historians views of the druids so un-magical.

“It is reasonably certain that people who were called (something like) Druids were in existence by 200 BCE, because they were apparently mentioned in two Greek books of about that date: a history of philosophy by Sotion of Alexandria and a treatise on magic, commonly but wrongly attributed to Aristotle. Both are lost, but they were quoted over four centuries later by Diogenes Laertius, whose work does survive.2 If he cited them accurately, one or both of them said that among a list of wise or holy men of foreign peoples were the Druidas of the Keltois and Galatais. The former term, the origin of the modern word ‘Celts’, was used vaguely for the tribes north and west of the Alps. The latter name may indicate the Galatians, a people who had cut their way through the Balkans to settle in Asia Minor, or the Gauls, the inhabitants of what are now France, Belgium and Germany west of the Rhine. So, we can be fairly (though not absolutely) sure that there were Druids around by 200 BCE, but not of where they were or what they were doing.” (Hutton, Ronald. Blood and Mistletoe: The History of the Druids in Britain (Kindle Locations 252-261). Yale University Press. Kindle Edition.]