Reply To: Exploring what Ronald Hutton thinks about druidry?

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Exploring what Ronald Hutton thinks about druidry? Reply To: Exploring what Ronald Hutton thinks about druidry?

Anonymous

So look, as I go along looking at Hutton’s book Blood and Mistletoe, do correct if you think I am wrong. I don’t want to pull a lot of quotes from his book, but more treat it like a nutshell. He starts off with talking about how druids were the seers and priests of ancient tribes. Now I buy that, and I feel that probably there is no reason to think that the druids ran around calling themselves druids. Key thought, is that they were the ancient priest and seers of Celtic tribes. And Hutton goes on to suggest that the seers and priest may have had some unique views. Ok, makes sense to me. So if you go with this, and get past the whole idea of calling these priest and seers druids, then these seers and priest could have been around for a long time in the British isles, and been there for a long time after christianity. At least that is my theory. What do you think.