Reply To: THE ADVENTURE OF CRAIC RAT THE SMELLY DRUID

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum THE ADVENTURE OF CRAIC RAT THE SMELLY DRUID Reply To: THE ADVENTURE OF CRAIC RAT THE SMELLY DRUID

Anonymous

Dear David, My point was that during the first century bc. and even after that for many centuries, people lived in small little huts that had a hole in the ceiling for the smoke to go out. There were not even any chimneys for many centuries. Also, in the winter the people brought the animals inside the hut and let them shit all over the floor, so you can imagine the smell, it must have been terrible. This was all over the uk and in Europe. It was the way of life during druid times, which seem to have been over by the third century ad. The animal poop was very valuable because it was put on the crops each spring. Further, where would people even get enough hot water to take a bath. And no one would want to get wet when it was freezing outside. The problem that some people have is that they want to live in a world of the past druid, but superimpose the the present on it. Modern people just don’t understand what is was like even a hundred years ago. It was not until world war 2 that the medical profession even had penicillin, and the hospitals brought whole wards of dead people out each morning, and life was short for many people. See, the problem people have with the idea of a smelly person in the past is that at one time the British really put down the welsh and Irish and the welsh and Irish have never gotten over it, and I think this causes them to have low self esteem. So, anything that remotely resembles a put down, and I mean any excuse will do, just sets them off. I feel the welsh and Irish are some of the most civilized cultures in the world, and welsh is one of our oldest continuous languages, not the mention the great poetry of the welsh. I have a lot of welsh blood in me, but still I don’t go screaming nationalism. I think a lot of modern druids base their concept of druidry on the image of the court of king author and Merlyn. This is fine, but as I understand it, the druids go back several centuries before christ, and they definitely were around in 500 BC. It also upsets me when people try to quash creativity and call me a troll or a Wiccan based LARPing, and I don’t even know what that is, but it does not sound good. The last thing I want to do is offend anyone, so I will not be writing any more Craic Rat stories, but still, the point is that as druid bards, we need to be free to express our creativity, and do not need other druids putting us down, especially as we are just starting off. I try to alway find something nice to say to poets and writers, and try to alway say something encouraging. I think it is important that we all stand together and stand up for the right to be creative people. Again, I would say that the Celts are very intelligent and brave and courageous people, and I am a celt. I even remember my former lives as a Celt. I think very highly of the welsh, and would like to learn welsh. And I think that if it was not for the welsh, we would have very little to base modern druidry on. Modern druids are very wonderful people, and we are very loving and kind people. I feel modern druidry is like the fellowship of the ring, and when we all have a safe place to share our creativity we all heal together. Best William