Reply To: Here comes the sun, Lugh, Lughnasad, Danu

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Here comes the sun, Lugh, Lughnasad, Danu Reply To: Here comes the sun, Lugh, Lughnasad, Danu

Anonymous

Dear Dowrgi, excellent insight into looking at language and root words. You may find it interesting that Beira is written about as the Scottish goddess of winter, and has many of the hag, crone features of other winter goddesses. Beira has a story with Bridget, or goddess of summer and Angus. With all these gods and goddess there is a certain amount of fantasy and wonder stories associated with them. And you did make a good comment in one post about how myths are representations of human emotions and deeper meanings that are hard to get at any other way. So, the way I look at druidry is that there is a lot of play in it, acting, and myth, and just plain good old fun. But the word wonder describes it best. Also, these gods and goddesses and faeries can appear to different folk in different ways, and even the green man can just appear as a face in an old magical oak tree. As druids, I think we are dealing with the spirits of nature and of the land, and they can communicate to us in many ways and forms, it fact a goddess may send her ravens or owls to send us a message. an I think half the fun of being a druid is to live in an imaginative land of inspiration and empowerment. But there is another side to druidry that is more down to earth and muddy. And as druids I do think we need to get away from our writing desks and go out and camp and walk in nature, even on days when the weather is inclement. Reading about nature is not the same as being in it. Druids should be wild rovers and take lots of walks up mountains and down into glens, to where the wild flowers grow and the faeries play their music.