Reply To: Here comes the sun, Lugh, Lughnasad, Danu

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Here comes the sun, Lugh, Lughnasad, Danu Reply To: Here comes the sun, Lugh, Lughnasad, Danu

Dowrgi
Participant

Hi David.

You might be interested in exploring the Anglo-Saxon mythos surrounding Beowa (Barley) the grandson of Sceafa (Sheaf) found in Old English literature. I believe some have linked it to John Barleycorn. However, the interesting thing is that whereas John Barleycorn is obviously male, the traditions in the West Country have corn dollies, or corn spirits, which are female. The Irish/Gaelic festival remembers Tailte, female, who died of exhaustion from making Ireland suitable for agriculture after the taking of the land by the Tuath Dé – there again a female association (perhaps).

The Gaulish solar divinities appear to be masculine, like Greek and Roman ones and also the Vedic Sūrya, whereas the British and Irish divinities we know of appear to be feminine – Sulis (Minerva) in Bath coming to mind, and the Irish/Gaelic word for sun is feminine if I’m not mistaken. This is also found in Baltic tradition, where Saulė (sun) is feminine. In Germanic traditions Sól or Sunna is also feminine. Basque and Sámi traditional beliefs also feature a female solar divinity. It makes me wonder if there hasn’t been some mixing of two different traditions going on here – an earlier one with a later one.

Bennathow
/|\