Reply To: You have to be able to deal with the put downs to be a bard

The British Druid Order Forums Student Support Forums Bardic Student Support Forum You have to be able to deal with the put downs to be a bard Reply To: You have to be able to deal with the put downs to be a bard

Jen Bottom
Participant

I agree that it is certainly good to be fairly confident you have “finished” a creative work before you perform it. Some people however may never feel that they have finished something though, so they may never perform it.
I certainly felt like that when I recorded something for OBOD as part of my studies.
It came out ok, but I could have recorded it 50 more times probably and still been finding things that could be better.
Sometimes, some people do just have to get out there and do it at some point, though they may not feel the work is done.

I think we all agree that it’s not great to be a jerk to someone who’s sharing their creations with others, but not everyone in the universe necessarily thinks that way.

Also personally, I get very nervous when I’m playing the fiddle, so I do make mistakes, or don’t play the tunes as well as I can perhaps do when practicing alone.

In summery I agree that if you want to go public with your barding, at some point someone will not give you the most constructive feedback, and you will need to be able to find ways to process that so you can continue creating and sharing it with a wider audience.

Best,
Jen.