Reply To: do you know any standard services for the 8 celebrations?

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum do you know any standard services for the 8 celebrations? Reply To: do you know any standard services for the 8 celebrations?

david poole
Participant

I am aware that the Pendragon of OBOD, Dave Smith aka Damh the Bard, possesses a sword which he refers to in one of his house broadcasts as the Order’s sword. “Behold, the Order’s sword. May it be ever with us, if our lake be stilled”, he says. I am guessing that this is a standard part of OBOD’s liturgy, as you refer to Bluefalcon. I think that the sword represents fire while the wand may represent air, so these magical tools would be tied to the four elements as ritual tools (I don’t know what earth and water would be?) I think that a sword is meant to be or can be consecrated by being brought into contact with the four elements, hence it would have to be buried or stuck into the ground at some point; I have read of this happening somewhere but can’t remember the origin of the custom offhand. I know that members of the OBOD Druid grade may use swords in ritual. I have witnessed this being done. I am not sure where the custom of showing a sword part drawn comes from but I have heard of this before. It may possibly come from Iolo Morgannwyg and the Welsh Gorsedd, I would have to look into that one. I have seen this custom being enacted at a ritual in Glastonbury. The sword was part drawn out of its scabbard and put back in again three times, each time it was drawn out the sword bearer asked the assembled audience “Is there peace?” and we all had to respond, “There is peace.” I think this custom is part of the Welsh National Eistedfodd and has been adopted by some British Druids.