Reply To: Druid sacred sites in Virginia are Millions of years old

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Druid sacred sites in Virginia are Millions of years old Reply To: Druid sacred sites in Virginia are Millions of years old

Greywolf
Keymaster

“Druid sacred sites in Virginia are Millions of years old?”
The earliest evidence of human activity in North America dates from 130,000 years ago, and even that is contested, with most estimates still ranging between 17,000 and 13,000 years ago, so clearly the sites referred to cannot be ‘millions of years old’ and made by humans. Given that our earliest evidence for the existence of Druids dates from not much more than 2,000 years ago, any site older than that cannot be firmly associated with them. Even if, as I do, you’re inclined to believe that megalithic structures in the British Isles are attributable to what we might call proto-Druids, the oldest of these are little more than 6,000 years old. The point of making extravagant claims for which there is absolutely no evidence has always eluded me, like the claim the Ancient Druid Order make that Druidry originated in Atlantis. Apart from anything else, this dishonours our ancestors by dismissing them as primitives who were incapable of building anything or creating a religion or philosophy for themselves. For me, the actual, verifiable facts of archaeology, history and prehistory are quite fascinating enough and exploring the truth about them respectfully honours our ancestors. Like a lot of Druids, I like to speculate, but I also like to keep my speculations within the realms of the possible! And, as pointed out in an earlier reply, to claim early American sites as Druidic dishonours the original inhabitants of the Americas, the first nations people who we know to have created magnificent structures and fine religious philosophies without any outside help.
Sorry for the rant, but these things are important to me.
Blessings,
Greywolf /|\