Reply To: Revisiting Druidry, A practical and inspirational guide, by Philip Shallcrass

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Revisiting Druidry, A practical and inspirational guide, by Philip Shallcrass Reply To: Revisiting Druidry, A practical and inspirational guide, by Philip Shallcrass

Anonymous

People like Rowan Williams, who is the former Archbishop of Canterbury, seem to be very interested in druidry because druidry allows them to re-enact the Middle Ages of knights and courts. It also allows them a break from the white bread and hot dog simple explanations of christianity. Druidry allows them to find inspiration from the magical texts like Taliesin. So, I think all of that is fine and I am happy that the academic world is so interested in the druids texts. Then there are the OBODIANS who seem to want to take all world religions, throw them in a cauldron, stir and mix, throw in some pop self-help psychology, and call that brew druidism. I don’t think there is anything wrong with that approach, but I don’t think that it is Celtic druidism when you add in all religions to the mix. I think what the OBODIANS are brewing is a one world religion designed to fit all. Whatever the case, I always think that the druids do best when they keep druidry living in small groves, and keep their relationship with nature real. Re-enacting is fine, but you do not have to act like you are living in the Middle Ages to be a druid. and the press loves it when all people who dress up in white robes gather at Glastonbury tor. Most of all, we as druids need to stop thinking of ourselves as an alternative religion because we are not. We are the primal spiritual people of the earth. we are the normal ones who have magic and joy in our lives and are not following a dead mechanistic religion that spews out despair. I hope we can always keep politics out of druidry, and keep druidry in small groups like I think it was originally practiced.