Reply To: Revisiting Druidry, A practical and inspirational guide, by Philip Shallcrass

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Revisiting Druidry, A practical and inspirational guide, by Philip Shallcrass Reply To: Revisiting Druidry, A practical and inspirational guide, by Philip Shallcrass

Dowrgi
Participant

Hello.

The book available on this site is Druidry: Rekindling the Sacred Fire, I was looking for Revisiting Druidry, which is the title you indicated, or did you mean one of the revised editions (1996, 1999, 2002)? The book is not out of print as it is available on this site.

Again, I think you’ve misunderstood this whole OBOD “secret” business, or whoever told you this may have misunderstood it. I don’t think there is any “great secret” at the end of the course, it’s just that they ask you to keep what you learn confidential when you sign up. At the end of the day, no one is obliged to join anyway. To draw a loose analogy with cinematography, actors, crew and extras may have to sign confidentiality contracts during film production so as not to “ruin the surprise” on release.

There was a time when no one would write about magic and they all tried to keep things secret because they were scared the magic would be misused.

Not sure about that, in Cornwall at least, there seems to have been a genuine belief that it just wouldn’t work if you wrote it down – the power is in the words. Of course, a cynic would also counter that it was a good way of keeping professional secrets and safeguarding business, but that has been the way of the for many a year and in many a profession, has it not?

Learn how to make a spell and what goes into the craft of casting a spell and then as it harm none, cast the spell, and use the rider, as it harms none before you send the spell out into the universe.

The trouble with this is who gets to decide what constitutes harm? It might seem obvious, but then again if you think about it more deeply, it starts to get blurred. As the old saying goes – the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Bennathow.
/|\