Reply To: Revisiting Druidry, A practical and inspirational guide, by Philip Shallcrass

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Revisiting Druidry, A practical and inspirational guide, by Philip Shallcrass Reply To: Revisiting Druidry, A practical and inspirational guide, by Philip Shallcrass

Anonymous

Chapter 2 is a long chapter, so I’m breaking it up into two parts. The chapter starts off with Chief saying, “A central tenet of Druidry is animism, the belief that spirit exists within all things.” (p.24, Druidry) Animism, is also an idea that the witches support. However, I think animism is taking it a bit too far. I do think that spirit is all around, but I have a difficult time believing that a flashlight, or a lamp, or a chair have spirit in them. I can see how all of nature does, but not a concrete manmade slab. Then Chief talks of the arura that forms the communication link between everything in the environment. “The aura represents a kind of interface, a means of passing information between spirit and physical mater,” (p. 24, Druidry) I think of it more as spirit forming the communication link, but it could be aura, but then how is it possible to communicate over very long distances? Chief goes on about Pop psychology of Abraham Maslow and peak experiences. This pop psychology is in a lot of the belief systems of the 70s Druids. And I think there is a lot of pop psychology and new age beliefs with the OBODIANS druidry, also. Chief says, “As with most things in life, the more commitment you bring to it, the more you will gain from it.” (p. 27, Druidry) Chief goes on to talk about casting a magic circle with imagination, and the circle he is talking about casting is much different that the magic circle that Witches cast. And it is here we can start to see a real difference in the 70s view of casting a circle and the Wiccans. Wiccans view that circle is a place between worlds and they also see it as a place to contain magic power until it is released, and this is very different from these druid magic circles which seem to be cast more as a map of self-exploration than for magic. Chief says, “In Druidry, experience is more important than belief,” (p28, Druidry). And I think he is talking about how that just performing a ritual is all that is important because rituals affect the psyche. The circle he is talking about seems to be more about the Web of the Wyrd, where fate is interwoven threads. So, now he is bringing in Scandinavian beliefs into druidry. But he also leaves room for the people who want to completely believe that the threads are real, again the theme of druidry is whatever druidry means to you, within this loose paradigm. Druidry not being a simple white bread, eggs, and milk, kind of spirituality, a keep it simple way of looking at the world like in fundamentalist Christianity. Right now, this is as far as I have gotten because the book starts to get more complicated, but it is not that difficult. And I really see and think that the 70s druidism was more spiritual than the 2000 neopagan druid movement. The other thing that I remember from the book at the time that I originally read it, was I remember thinking how much it made me feel that druidry was a lot like Buddhism and yoga. Both of which were popular during the 70s. So, far I would say, that if you get a chance, you should pick up a copy of Chief Graywolf’s book, Druidry. I feel it is a very spiritual book and can be extremely helpful in understanding about being a druid.