Reply To: Revisiting Druidry, A practical and inspirational guide, by Philip Shallcrass

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Revisiting Druidry, A practical and inspirational guide, by Philip Shallcrass Reply To: Revisiting Druidry, A practical and inspirational guide, by Philip Shallcrass

Dowrgi
Participant

Hi there.

Could you give an exact reference for “Revisiting Druidry”, please? I’m having a hard time finding a book by that name authored by Greywolf.

As for OBOD, if I’m not mistaken it was founded in 1964 by Ross Nichols in a split from The Ancient Order of Druids along with some members of the British Circle of the Universal Bond (now known as The Ancient Druid Order), so OBOD actually goes back to Ross Nichols. I believe Ross Nichols was a family friend of Philip Carr-Gomm’s and Philip studied with him, becoming leader in 1988.

Regarding the “secret”, I think it’s a bit harsh to dismiss it as a “marketing gimmick”. As I understand it, it’s not some mysterious secret to be revealed at the end of the courses, but rather that the OBOD levels are meant to be revealed as a novice progresses; these day, with mass communication and the Internet, that could easily be ruined. Moreover, although not a Wiccan myself, I know that many Wiccan groups also have their secrets and in the old days at least, the Book of Shadows had to be copied out by hand in order to be passed down! Anyway, professional confidentiality, in a sense, exists in all spheres of life these days, let’s face it, our druid ancestors were reluctant to write anything down in the first place! In Cornish tradition, the “craft” could only be passed from a man to a woman or a woman to a man, and if any of the “charms” or “spells” were written down, they were believed to have lost their power. Therefore, I think what OBOD is doing has its sound reasons and is, perhaps, keeping with tradition.

The way I see it is that all druids are companions, they just have different routes through the forest of this life in their quest for truth.

Bennathow.
/|\