Reply To: Revisiting Druidry, A practical and inspirational guide, by Philip Shallcrass

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Revisiting Druidry, A practical and inspirational guide, by Philip Shallcrass Reply To: Revisiting Druidry, A practical and inspirational guide, by Philip Shallcrass

Anonymous

Chapter one of the book is pretty much the standard history you get of the druids in every book, but there is some magic in it. Chief Graywolf talks of healing begining when we are grateful for our parents, and forgive them for anything they did that we felt was hurtful. And then he talks of honoring our druid ancestors. Next he goes on to explain that druids have a wide range of beliefs that include spiritual, cultural, and political, but stresses that each druid is responding to his or her vision of druidry. He then suggests having an altar to remind us of the spiritual dimensions of our life. And we next have Chief explaining about Ross Nichols and how Ross wanted to take druidry back to its Celtic Roots. Alright, there is not that much more, but I want to say a few things. To me, it seems that Chief Graywolf sees druidry as a spiritual path that starts when we practice forgiveness for the past and are grateful for the past. It also seems that Chief Graywolf honors the spirituality and sacred in all of life. There is also a chant that he said on P.8 which goes “earth and stone, blood and bone, all are one, all are one.” Iwonder if he still uses this chant. Further, I find it interesting that Ross Nichols wanted to get druidry back to its Celtic roots because I thought Ross was concerned with getting people back into nature. And I feel that Druidry should be a Celtic root thing, also. However, That each druid is responding to his or her own view of what a druid is, is very interesting, especially with the neopagan druids, and helps me to understand what they are all about. Because I have a difficult time understanding the OBODIANS view of druidry that seems like they think that everyone is a druid, no matter what they believe, and in my opinion this is just a marketing ploy to get more people to take their expensive courses to get magical merit badges. I also think that the OBODIANS promise of learning some really big secret at the end of the Bard course, a secret that they are to never share with anyone outside the OBODIANS is another marketing gimmick to get people to take their, in my opinion, overpriced courses to get magical merit badges. Remember, the OBODIANS are a Mega Grove. But Chief Graywolf does shine some light on what a druid believes when he talks about each person responding to their own view of what a druid is. And from the credits and people he mentions like Bobcat and Car Gomm, Chief Graywolf has been there from the start of the modern druid movement in the 1970s. But I think of the Neodruids, again in my opinion, as more the druids dating from about 2010, who seem to be on a less spiritual path, and more concerned with history, and culture path. The middle part of the chapter one is just pretty much the standard review of the history of druidry which all books on druidry now have. But then Chief Graywolf says some interesting things around page 19. He talks about how druidry awakens parts of ourselves to see the world differently. And he says “the druid seeks to work with the process of change in order to take a more active role in the continuing process of creation.” (P. 19. Druidry) I think he is talking about magic here and how we are coworkers with the divine and creation , but I may be reaching for that. Much of the stuff that I read on what a druid is seems to me to be as slippery as a river frog, but Chief Graywolf’s comments on the subject help me to understand the early 1970s druids thinking about druidry, and helps me to understand the modern Neopagans a wee bit more. Woof Star-tree