Reply To: Trouble in Druidville-Star tree talks some religious craic about druidry

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Trouble in Druidville-Star tree talks some religious craic about druidry Reply To: Trouble in Druidville-Star tree talks some religious craic about druidry

Dowrgi
Participant

Iolo was on smack and he could have been prosecuted for being a witch so he had to convince the church punters that being a druid was cool.

That’s not really the case. Iolo Morganwg was using laudanum, a legally available painkiller at the time, the use of which was fairly widespread in the 18th and 19th centuries. Well-known users of laudanum include Samuel Taylor Coleridge in Great Britain and Abraham Lincoln’s wife in the USA. Again, we should be careful about making judgements without considering the historical context. Given that the earliest neo-druids were also Christians, notably William Stukeley, who was an Anglican clergyman, and that the Ancient Order of Druids (1781) included prominent politicians and members of the establishment, I think there’s little chance that Iolo feared some kind of witch trial for his druidic publications – especially since he too was also a member of the Christian theological movement known as Unitarianism. The early neo-druidic movements were very Christian in their outlook in many senses and more like fraternal, cultural and philanthropic societies – they certainly weren’t “neo-pagan” movements, or not as we would understand them.

I think at sometime it could be helpful to codify what a druid stands for and what a druid believes.

Why do you feel that? I would argue against this, because as soon as you do that, you create a dogma with all that word entails. In practical terms, I don’t think it would be a success either. Today you have druids coming from a vast spectrum backgrounds in terms of belief, including Christian Druids/Druid Christians. As soon as you start saying “this is so”, you start saying “that isn’t so”, can you see the problem?